Goodyears

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Weerocco
fill in the right answer: 15

Goodyears

Post by Weerocco »

Just replaced my front tyres ( toyo proxes ) with Goodyear efficientgrip performance . A good looking tyre and they even feel really grippy to the touch! Wet grip is rated A and for noise. The fuel rating is C I think , but that does not bother me as I hardly do many miles in it . Had a quick trip after getting them fitted , in the rain and although I wasn't going very fast they felt really good. Will let you know once I've had a decent run how they were. Two delivered from Black circles for £93.00 185/60/14 , can't be too bad

ianaudia4

Re: Goodyears

Post by ianaudia4 »

Good price, how much to fit though? I bought x2 Pirelli P6000's for £114 fitted a few months back which I thought was good.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Weerocco

Post by Weerocco »

Yea £20 for fitting , £113 all in. Had the p6000 s on my TT years back but thought the tread wore down very quick. Still a good price though

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

That is good mate, Black Circles couldn't beat my local independant tyre place for Pirelli P6000's though.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

I think the "eco" ratings on tyres are a bad idea. I don't want a tyre that saves fuel, I want one that grips. I can't see a way that a fuel efficient tyre will be grippy.

I think in the long run, the miniscule amount of fuel wasted by less efficient tyres is much less money than repairing a ditched car

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
james butler

Post by james butler »

Nate wrote:I think the "eco" ratings on tyres are a bad idea. I don't want a tyre that saves fuel, I want one that grips. I can't see a way that a fuel efficient tyre will be grippy.

I think in the long run, the miniscule amount of fuel wasted by less efficient tyres is much less money than repairing a ditched car
very true!
i did this once with some eco tyres that are now sat in the shed as i deem them too dangerous for this time of the year.
i did buy some nankang snow tyres last week for £42.50 each that grip well but efficiency rating E is very low.
but like nate said you cant get grip with economy.
worst tyres for this are small michelin tyres.
i had some 155/70/13 on my old golf and could spin the wheels in third gear with little effort in the wet.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

that is a great price for goodyears though weerocco

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Weerocco

Post by Weerocco »

Gotta agree the Eco rating doesn't come into it really, just so happened on these ones it wasn't to bad!! . The A rating for grip was what sold them

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

We had Goodyear Efficient Grip on the polo ('03 "9n") they came on a set of 2nd hand wheels, they gripped really well and lasted well too. They were even good in the snow!

My 'rocco met it's demise on P6000s... (30mph on spilled diesel) They're still alive on the mk1 cab, but that's strictly a summer toy. Once they wear/conk out, I'll be replacing with something different... Not a fan!

My go-to tyre these days are Uniroyal Rain Sport 2s (I've not tried the 3s yet!) I really rate them - we have them on the mk2 golf (on both summer and winter wheels!) and the passat.

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

P6000s on a light car never die, I've got some that are 10 years old going on the date stamps and are only half worn. I tried to kill them last summer and took them off when they tried killing me on my 50 mile work commute.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Nate

Post by Nate »

They'll be an mot fail soon then. Tyre age is meant to be coming into the test this year. Assuming you actually take it somewhere that tests properly

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Weerocco

Post by Weerocco »

Had p6000s on TT years ago , good grip but only lasted about 18 months!! The car only done about 6-7000 miles a year , switched tyres after that! Must say that although I haven't been in the Rocco much since the tyres have been fitted I'm really pleased with them so far.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Looking into tyres at the moment and wandering how the Goodyears are going, are they wearing down much and how are you finding the grip in the dry and wet?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323