ATS Cups / scraping / rubbing

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Seejay
fill in the right answer: 15

ATS Cups / scraping / rubbing

Post by Seejay »

Hi All,

I have a standard mk2 GT2 and I have just fitted some 15" ATS Cups onto it. On full lock there is a bit of catching on the arches. I have been told that some spacers should stop this? Does anybody agree with this or have any better ideas? Or recommend any sort of spaces? I am a bit of a novice in this area! The rubbing / scraping is not too bad but its not something that I really want to happen! If anyone has any thoughts they would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Seejay

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: ATS Cups / scraping / rubbing

Post by Nate »

Should be an mot fail if the wheels scrape on anything. What size tyres are on it? Probably just scraping the plastic poo shields inside the wing. I fixed this on mine by removing the plastic. You need to make sure you keep the inner wings clean if you do this though, or you'll get mk1 style rust!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Mrgarf

Post by Mrgarf »

Ats cups and bigger tyres are vw unfriendly ( I suspect your on a 195/50/15 tyre) , when I had a lowers golf mk2 gti I went to 45 profile tyres and this solved the problem

1984 vw scirocco gl finished in pink
2004 Vw bora highline
2020 Jaguar e-pace checkered flag
Seejay
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Seejay »

Thanks guys. I am thinking of going back to totally original and selling the ats cups! The grinding makes me feel sick haha!

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Honestly, it isn't a big job. Load of us run wide wheels and lowered cars.
As Nate says removing the poo shields will probably help. It isn't a big job and as long as you keep an eye on things the bodywork will be fine.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

As Matt says, 45 series tyres would solve this, see pictures of Bills red gtx that has run this set up happily for years.

There are two types of cup too btw.
Et28 and et20 offsets, see wheel for stamps.

Lower offset figure means the wheels poke out more but I've seen a very low gtx run those safely enough too.

The 28's should run fine on 50 series tyres assuming car ain't lowered.

Serial Rocco-ist.........