Mini Steel Wheels - will they fit?

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
webamoeba

Mini Steel Wheels - will they fit?

Post by webamoeba »

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my existing pepper-pot steel wheels. I was thinking of getting them refurbished but noticed that the 15" steel wheels fitted to the new Mini wheels look like a good match, and are relatively cheap to pick up off eBay. Has anyone tried fitting these?

Not sure what tyres I would end up having to get, I'm guessing that those fitted for the mini would be too large, and that I would need some sort of low profile tyre?

Thanks

Mr Funk

Re: Mini Steel Wheels - will they fit?

Post by Mr Funk »

You'd have to look at the Et and the bolt figment. sciroccos use 4x100

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Winston
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Winston »

They are Et45 so the offset is a touch higher

The centre bore is not big enough to fit over the sciroccos hubs. I made mine fit using flap wheel on a drill to increase the bore to fit. (bit pikey)

webamoeba

Post by webamoeba »

Thanks for the replies. I found the various sizes over at http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html.

New Mini
PCD 4x100
Offset 35 to 48
CB 56.1

Volkswagen Scirocco
PCD 4 x 100
Offset 32 to 38
CB 57

Yup had spotted the Centre Bore, but as you say that can be fixed with some high quality bodging. How far do you actually have to take it out? Is it the full 9mm?

I'm a bit confused by the Offset, I understand what it is, but it depends on the width of the wheels as to what this really means. I'm not sure what the size is for standard scirocco steel wheel, so instead have done a basic calculation from the Avus wheels http://www.cybertects.co.uk/scirocco/wheels/index.php .So the actual distance from the outter side of the hub to inner most part of the wheel will be:

Avus = (6" / 2) + 38mm = (152.4mm /2) + 38mm = 114.2mm
Mini Steel = (5.5" / 2) + 45mm = (139.7mm / 2) + 45mm = 114.85mm

I've not done this sort of thing before, but assuming I'm not doing something really stupid (I am good at doing stupid things), it sounds like the wheel should fit relatively well. There's only 0.65 of a mm difference there? Of course I'm a little unsure how tyres then fit into the equation, especially given that I would be going from a 14" to a 15".

Winston it sounds like you've already done this? Other than the Centre Bore, did you have any issues? I'm on standard suspension, so no chance of easily stiffening the ride to reduce travel in the wheel arch.

Thanks again

Winston

Post by Winston »

I have never had them on a Scirocco. I had they on my Vento TDi but I had no other problems bar the centre bore. I just kept working away at the centre until it fitted on the hub.

webamoeba

Post by webamoeba »

Cool, thanks Winston. :)

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Centre bore difference seems to me to be 0.9mm!

webamoeba

Post by webamoeba »

Yeah you're right... I can count good I can... :D