Snapped wheel bolt...

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
wasted
fill in the right answer: 10

Snapped wheel bolt...

Post by wasted »

Just re-torqued the wheel bolts on the front of the car, and one of them has snapped flush with the surface of the hub. Not good.

Looking at various sources, there seems to be some disagreement on whether a left-hand extractor ("easy out") will get the remainder of the stud out of the hub; am I better off drilling it? Anyone had success with an extractor in the same situation?

Also how safe will the car be to drive in the meantime? I'm not talking long distance or high speeds or anything, just around town (I need to use the car this week for work).

'89 Scala 1.8i - Daily drive, Work in progress!
go-for-it1

Re: Snapped wheel bolt...

Post by go-for-it1 »

Drill and easy out. If the first attempt doesn't work then drill larger and use a bigger easy out and keep going, eventually the drill size will approach the thread diameter and the stud will have so little material holding it that it will collapse and fall out. Just make sure you get the drill central when you start off though. Make a good centre punch mark before drilling. Should be safe to drive but if the rozzers catch you you will get done!! :shocking:
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
wasted

Post by wasted »

Cool, cheers for the advice. I know someone with an extractor, so that'll be a job for next weekend I think.

Thankfully my BBS wheels have centre caps, so no bolts on display... I'll probably just lay it up for the week though, and borrow a car. Better to be safe than sorry.

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Have done this with an easy out before, exact same problem. Patience and it will come out eventually.

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
wasted

Post by wasted »

Can I ask what brand/make of easy out you guys use? I want to make sure I don't end up with something that's going to snap off at first use!

wassell

Post by wassell »

when you use the punch to mark the centre point, be sure to give it more than a good enough wack. you'll want to transmit some force through the bolt threads to help break up the tension between the hub/bolt. it'll probably be a combination of water and heat which has led to the bolt seizing.

could also be worth you checking the other bolts and maybe replacing them too, just to be cautious.

wasted

Post by wasted »

Yeah I'll be replacing all of them anyway - it actually snapped due to overtightening rather than seizing, and it turns out it was some sort of cast alloy rather than proper steel. I'm hoping that since it snapped off under the head, it'll come out easily enough since it's not tightened down onto anything.

One other somewhat related question - I have BBS RJs, which have VAG markings; can I assume that replacement bolts will be radius seats? I have a suspicion that the bolts on there at the moment are conical seats, which probably didn't help.

wasted

Post by wasted »

Got it:

Carbide drill bit into the centre of the remaining stud, and then found that it suddenly freed off and came out with an appropriately-sized flathead screwdriver. Off to get new bolts this weekend.

wassell

Post by wassell »

:good: nice when stuff just works eh! haha.