Tyre choice...

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
wasted
fill in the right answer: 10

Tyre choice...

Post by wasted »

Right then, I finally have enough money to replace the 45 profile tyres on the front of my car, and I'm debating what to get. On the same rims on the rear of the car, I recently got 15" 215/50s, and they're fine; however I have heard a tiny bit of scrubbing over bumps with people in the back.

The rims are 6.5J / 15" with ET38 offset; what's the best choice for the fronts? I'm currently trying to decide between 195/50s and 205/50s, but I'm worried about scrubbing on full lock. Any ideas?

'89 Scala 1.8i - Daily drive, Work in progress!
Tim_R

Re: Tyre choice...

Post by Tim_R »

I'm getting slight scrubbing the offside front mudshield of mine on some bumps as it's lowered again at present and that's running 195 50 15s, though I can't remember what offset my borbets are. I suspect ET38 but will check. Once I get my wheels aligned again the scrubbing will stop.

I can really recommend the Continental Premium Contact 2s I'm running for grip and braking both wet and dry, in a totally separate league to Toyos and Kumhos and even Good Year Eagle F1s I've had in the past.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
wasted

Post by wasted »

Hmm, 195/50s are probably the way to go then, for sufficient clearance; I'm planning on dropping the car 40mm front and rear in the next few months. How's the handling etc? I'm getting some horrendous tramlining on mine when they're properly inflated, but they are very low profile; my Dad described them as "f**king polo mints" :hugegrin:

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

The tram lining will be made worse by the wider tyres you have now, so I'd say that it should improve. I noticed the difference going from my 185 60 14s to the wheels and tyres I'm running now.

Your welcome to see what you think of mine ride and handling wise if you want.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
wasted

Post by wasted »

Heh, I may not want to go back to mine after driving yours ;) Thanks for the offer though!

I checked the rears last night, and as it turns out they're actually 195/50s, so it makes sense to match them on the front. I'll probably end up getting some hubcentric spacers to push them out a bit on the back as well, although that can wait.

Next step after that will be to fit some Spax (or possibly Weitec) 40mm springs with new shocks, replace the front suspension bushes, and fit a lower strut brace that I've had hanging around the garage for donkeys. Should result in a much better driving experience.

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Well offer is there.

Fit the strut brace, even if you don't do anything else. It makes that big a difference.

Depending on how and where you drive your car, I'd consider updated anti roll bars over lowering springs. Again they make a big difference to the feel of the car.

Dampers, if they are original, change them. Simple as that. The car will be much more surefooted on corners.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
wasted

Post by wasted »

Good advice, cheers. And I may take you up on your offer next time I see you!

I got around to fitting the lower brace this morning, and amazingly it all went ok with the exception of torquing the wishbone bolts (see my other thread). I'll be following your advice and replacing the shock inserts before going with new springs; however the rear ones will need replacing at some point, because the car is a little nose-high, and I think the rear springs have sagged over time. Something to do in the spring ;)

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

If they are on original dampers that seems to happen. If you replace the dampers that'll disappear.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
wasted

Post by wasted »

Ah, good to know - cheers! Something else to add to the list ;)