What tyres would you recommend?

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Beddo88

What tyres would you recommend?

Post by Beddo88 »

So i need to buy a couple of new tyres for the rear of my car. Looking at buying 185/55R14s, which come in a variety of different manufacturers.

Currently have a set of Toyo CF1s on the front, and while they are pretty decent most of the time, can tend to wash out a little bit when its wet/slippery. (more than one would expect).

Looking at buying some Firestone TZ300's for the rear wheels, and swapping them with the front. Has anyone had any experience of these? Mileage etc?

Or are there any tyres that you guys would recommend? Happy to spend a little extra as its the only thing keeping me in contact with the road afterall :)

Cheers, Dan

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: What tyres would you recommend?

Post by the edmundator »

For a start, I'd go for 185/60R14, which is the original size and also gives you a much wider selection of tyres, at cheaper prices.

I really liked the set of Bridgestone ER300s I had on a GT2 (book on-line fully fitted at Kwik-Fit £66 each).

I also had a set of Continental EcoContact 3 (£58.90 each fully fitted) on a Polo, which I thought were pretty good.

I've been tempted by Dunlop SP Sports in the past, but never tried any and I've generally had good experiences with Good Year. Uniroyal Rain Experts might be worth a pop, at only £53.50 each fully fitted.

For fully-fitted prices and convenience, I find Kwik Fit pretty good these days, as long as you book on-line.

Having said that, Blackcircles has a much larger selection, is a bit cheaper and you get a member's discount (assuming you're a member!).

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bluestreak56 »

A friend of mine recommended Falken 452's:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/FK452.htm

Although I know nothing about tyres so no idea if they are suitable. But thats a good site :-)

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

I would go for the best tyres you can afford,these are the only things keeping you on the road!

I am a big fan of Continental, last week I replaced all 4 on the Audi, 235/40/18's, they cost me £624 fitted/balanced etc, these replaced the last set of Continentals which lasted 29k miles.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Gone for some Dunlop Speed 1 Fastresponse tyres in the end. Hope they're good! :)