Mark 2 GT2 Exterior Trim

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rapier3a

Mark 2 GT2 Exterior Trim

Post by rapier3a »

Hi All,

Just decided to tidy up my GT2 which Ihave now owned for over 10 years.

The trim at the base of the doors is bulging where water at the drainage points has caused rusting and the trim has been pushed out.

Are these trims easy to remove and refit and will they straighten if put in a freezer or any other methods??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Mark 2 GT2 Exterior Trim

Post by markh »

The trims basically just pull of as they're only glued on. Until you take them off, you won't be sure if it's the metal strip that stiffens the trim that's rusted or the door itself. Usually it's the metal strip in the trim that's rots and makes them bulge, if that's the case then you will need to replace the trim. To reattach it, get a tube of Tigerseal panel adhesive. You will need a cartridge gun to put the tube of Tigerseal in. You can get tigerseal from most car shops or off eBay.
Hope that helps !

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !