door cards / trim

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

door cards / trim

Post by rosie »

Been trying to remove my door cards. Everything else has been successfully detached but I'm stuck on the electric window switches. Does anyone have a tip for how to get the unit through the hole please? Or does it need to be taken apart?
IMG_1767 small.jpg

Also, I can't work out how to remove this piece of trim.
IMG_1766 small.jpg
There's a lot of rot on the bottom of the door which I need to fill, but need to get this trim off to access it. Any ideas please?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: door cards / trim

Post by GT_II »

The electric window switches I can help with. If you gently pull and manipulate the wiring bunch towards you through the opening you will find a multi-way connector block connecting each switch to the main harness about 6 inches inside the door with a layer of polyurathane foam wrapped around it to prevent rattling. You should be able to uncouple the connector halves by releasing the clip leaving the foam stuck to the two connector halves but torn at the join. When you have put the door card back, just reconnect the switch wiring and feed back into the cavity.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Regarding the trim, it's stuck on with aggressive glue. Using heat and brute strength should do it. You probably wont be able to reuse them again as they have a metal insert which bends. On mine, I thought it was door rot but it turned out to be the metal in the trim had rusted and bubbled. It gave the same feel as the door going rotten.

A word of warning, getting new ones is impossible and getting good second hand ones nearly the same as they wrinkle when taken off. I have left mine off and it gives a slightly different look to the bottom of the door.

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks, excellent advice.
I didn't want to start pulling all the switch wiring out and break the only working electrics in the whole car, but now I know what I'm dealing with I feel more confident.
I'm 99% sure it's the door that's rusted but will investigate further. At least now I know it's glued I don't need to spend any more time looking for hidden clips! Cheers.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground