Factory rear inertia seatbelts - Mk2

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Factory rear inertia seatbelts - Mk2

Post by blakey »

Does anyone have factory fitted inertia reel seatbelts fitted to their Mk2? I'm looking for photos of the installation to the rear shelves.

The belts are available new from VW Classic Parts and also secondhand.

My '89 has the slots in the shelves to accommodate them but doesn't have any threads to mount them, and the shelf doesn't really look strong enough to mount them on its own. The parts catalogue shows the belts and the trim pieces, but no mounting brackets etc. So I'd like to see how they were fitted from factory.

I currently have the Securon 254's fitted, but have an issue with one of them, so need to replace it - would like to go down the original type route if possible.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
the edmundator

Re: Factory rear inertia seatbelts - Mk2

Post by the edmundator »

There are some threads on the C-pillars, which is where you attach the upper part of the 3-point belt. If you poke around with your finger, you should be able to feel them under the headlining.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
blakey

Post by blakey »

It did have 3 point static belts originally, but I fitted the aftermarket Securon belts. As I have to replace one of them again, I'd like to go for the original type.
It may not be possible, if they're not fitted at build.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I don't think 3-point inertia reel belts were fitted to any UK cars from the factory. I've only ever seen lap belts or 3-point static belts (aside from Securon etc. aftermarket ones).

I don't see how the 3-points for securing the belts would be any different for factory inertia reel belts. One on the C-pillar, one on the inner sill/arch area, one at the buckle.

Like this:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
blakey

Post by blakey »

Possibly never fitted to UK cars, but this is the picture which got me started on this, it's from the Scala page on Dr Dub's website info:

And then I looked in the parts catalogue:
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 57-169000/

Just keen to know how the reel is secured to the rear shelves.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

I puzzled over the parts diagrams a couple of years ago to see if it might be feasible to adapt the shelf support to mount inertia reels to my '92. I'm guessing if there is another Dutch contingent at this year's National Meet, there might be one or two fitted with original 3-point inertias to look at.

Rear seat belts didn't need to be fitted in the UK before 1987, and didn't need to be worn until 1991, and even then only 40% of people bothered to belt up in the back. No surprise then, that VW GB didn't see rear seat belts as a key selling point, and took the opportunity to economise by fitting cheap static belts in place of inertia reels.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I know this is an old thread, but those 3-point static rear seatbelts fitted to my late Mk2 Scirocco have always bugged me - untidy, a hassle to adjust, and when adjusted correctly, uncomfortable for the user.

A couple of months ago I came across a couple of NOS inertia belts for sale at a very reasonable price. This prompted me to investigate the feasibility of installing into a UK spec car. Like blakey, I had thought special brackets would be needed to attach the reels to the parcel shelf supports. However, on looking more closely, I found that the standard support panels already incorporate heavy duty mounts for the inertia reels and cut-outs for the belt slots. The only extras I needed to find were plastic trims for the cut-outs and for the C-pillar brackets, which I eventually managed to source from a couple of VW car breakers in Germany, and the fixings, which are available from VW.

A few photos of the finished result here:
3-point intertia belts.jpg
Inertia mount from above.jpg
Inertia mount from below.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Looks awesome. I want to do the same. Surely some of these parts were on other VW of the era?

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The inertia reels and cut-out trims were unique to the Mk2 Scirocco (from VIN WVWZZZ53ZBK200001), I think due to the long reach and unusual mounting angle. The C-pillar bracket trims were fitted to the Mk2 Golf, but only during the first 6 months of production, and are otherwise exclusive to the Mk2 Scirocco. The parts I used were:

From Germany:
Inertia reel (qty 2): 533857805
Cut-out trim, left: 533857849A 01C
Cut-out trim, right: 533857850A 01C
C-pillar bracket trim (qty 2): 191857719 01C

From VW dealer:
Inertia reel mounting washer (qty 2): N0116555 (RRP £0.91+VAT each)
Cut-out trim nut (qty 6): N0386015 (RRP £0.95+VAT each)
C-pillar bracket nylon washer (qty 4): 211857771 (RRP £2.26+VAT each)

Left over from a used belt set I had previously bought on ebay:
C-pillar bracket shoulder bolt (qty 2): 111857793E
C-pillar bracket spacer sleeve (qty 2): 803019825B

The twin buckle assembly was already in the car as part of the static belt setup, as were the 4 bolts I used to attach the inertia reels and bottom brackets.
Last edited by GT_II on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas »

Thanks, very useful. Now on a treasure hunt.

Joost, what do you have in your NL warehouse?

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

It's probably worth double checking your shelf supports, to make sure the mounting brackets are present, not just on the last few months of RHD production for example.

james butler

Post by james butler »

GT_II wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:17 pm It's probably worth double checking your shelf supports, to make sure the mounting brackets are present, not just on the last few months of RHD production for example.
good point, when i removed the shelves either side of crustys old parcel shelf there definitely wasn't any bolt holes there or significant metal to bolt something to :dunno:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

A couple of photos to show the offside shelf support cut-out and mounting bracket after removing the rectangle of carpet over the cut-out and before fitting the inertia reel assembly and cut-out trim:

From above:
Offside belt cut-out.jpg
From below:
Offside belt mount.jpg
Apologies for the poor lighting in the second photo. The bracket is welded to the inner body panels on the side and rear as well as to the metal parcel shelf support above. The rear part of the bracket and welding can be seen in the photo in my earlier post above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry 59

Post by Terry 59 »

I currently restoring an 86 GTX in Australia, and have purchased a pair of original factory inertia reel seat belts as in the pictures along with all the trimmings. After which left me more than a little puzzled! and was more than wondering how VW did it.
But thanks the efforts of GT_II, I now am informed and have all the guidance need to install them.
MY vehicle being an 86 WVWZZZ53ZGK022...) it does have have the rectangular cut outs under thr carpets for the belt to pass and holes to fit the trim/cover. However it sadly does not have the additional belt mounting steel work under the parcel shelf ends. But i can fabricate up something fairly close to what the mounting looks like and weld into place as in the picture.
Again many thanks for this post

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I'm glad you located the parts. I guess you could bolt a bracket in as an alternative to welding, unless you are doing it as part of a bigger resto