under bonnet insulation

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

under bonnet insulation

Post by C 20 CCO »

I had to use the vacuum cleaner to remove the original insulation.... Yes it was so far gone the vacuum cleaner made short work of removal. :-o

I've read through previous posts on how to refit and with what material to use; and went for the hardura black pieces from newton commercial classic car interiors.

I managed to take off half the old adhesive off but gave up. To try and soften the adhesive I tried petrol, diesel but plumped for white spirit. I found using a toothbrush and a rigid plastic scraper the easiest way to go, but even so it was a long slow process. The new panels are in place so lets see how long they last and cope with the heat from the engine.
I posted some pictures below, well pleased with the result, challenging to do the long pieces but all gone to plan.
under bonnet insulation_1.jpg
U_B_I_4.jpg
U_B_I_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: under bonnet insulation

Post by mark1gls »

That looks better, you should also stop getting old bits of foam dropping on your engine each time you shut the bonnet! :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323