Is this the right mirror, what is this and interior light issue/part no

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmaaah
fill in the right answer: 15

Is this the right mirror, what is this and interior light issue/part no

Post by timmaaah »

Hey there - new owner, so a few questions if you don't mind:

This mirror doesn't look standard - I assume it's not the original one?

I found this thing tucked away when I took the stereo out - I take it that it fits in the blanked off round part top of the picture? Is it worth refitting? It does "stuff" when you start the engine lol. There's no bulb in place, but there is a light switched live tucked away - I assume it has a bulb?

Last one - my interior light is fubar - the switch is broken so it's only possible to put it back to on with doors if you drop it down and manually slide it over. Can't see a part number on it - anyone know the no or has one for sale?

Many thanks

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Is this the right mirror, what is this and interior light issue/part no

Post by mark1gls »

No not original mirror, they are getting hard to find, Mk1 golf cabriolets have the same mirror as Mk2 Scirocco, they have a metal bracket which is glued onto the windscreen then the mirror fits to the bracket.

This type DOES NOT fit even though it says it does, this type of mirror fits into the roof of the car and is not glued onto the windscreen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-2-SCIROCC ... SwQjZXQTyH

A trip to a scrap yard and have a look at other VWs etc which have a stick on the windscreen mirror may be your best opinion or post up a part wanted ad?

Another idea in this link. Yes I'm mark1gls on the golf forum as well...
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... iew-mirror

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Is this the right mirror, what is this and interior light issue/part no

Post by mark1gls »

Vacuum gauge is not standard VW fitment, its and after market item which should measure the amount of fuel you are using, not that accurate and don't really see any benifit...

Up to you if you want to refit it if it still works?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323