Inner wings

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
theboysmiffy

Inner wings

Post by theboysmiffy »

The inner wings on the mk1 are looking a bit suspect particularly at the headlights so I think it will need the wings off and a bit of welding. Does anyone know a source for inner wings or repair sections? Mk1 golf inners are available but these must be different or are they adaptable, what have you been using?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Inner wings

Post by mark1gls »

When you repair the inner wing fit some front wheel arch liners from a mk1 golf, they stop all the mud getting stuck in that corner, its such a good mud and rust trap.
Golf linners need trimming to fit and you need to drill a few holes to fix them in place.
I've got 1 liner form a Mk1 golf cabriolet and 1 from a late mk1 golf tin top which does fit slightly better than the cabriolet liner but they both do a good job of stopping the dirt and mud getting trapped in the corners.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
The Autoad
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by The Autoad »

No repair sections are available and aftermarket sources seemed to have dried up a long time ago. Fabrication is the only option unless you get very lucky on ebay and the like.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
theboysmiffy

Post by theboysmiffy »

Thats what I thought, just need to find someone trustworthy!!