Sunroof stuck on one side

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Sunroof stuck on one side

Post by MK21800 »

For kick off - the handle is in the wrong position when the roof is closed (almost 180' out).

Tilt is fine.

Slide - this is the problem. The drivers side seems fine, but the passenger side doesn't move. I can move it back about an inch by pushing it back with my hand from the outside of the car realtively easily, but then it seems to hit an obstacle and won't go back any further. Wiggling it about backwards and forwards, I can feel it tapping against something towards the front. So it kind of wants to work, but there's definitely a solid obstruction of some kind there. Perhaps in the rail? I don't want to force it too much in case I break something.

The sunroof closes fine from its limited opening position.

Getting a torch and looking down there, I can't really see anything that looks out of place, or any difference between the drivers side and passengers side on the rails. Evrything looks in not bad condition as it goes.

Also, can you give me a quick guide on how to find the drain holes on the bottom of the car? Are they hidden behind bodykit or anything? Can't immediately see anything - looked just behind the front wheel, and just in front of the back wheel and right at the back of the car.

The idea was to unblock drain holes in preparation for winter, pour water in to test drainholes, and maybe apply some lubricant/grease to the sunroof mechanism, but obviously without being able to open it, can't get to that stage yet.

The white/cream headlining turns brown pretty quick suggesting some water clogging up there. And I washed the car yesterday, went for a drive and got a few drips coming down on my head. Not too bad but noticeable.

I have found threads about this on here and other forums but none seem to address this one side being stuck problem.

Cheers.

scrappy1382
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Sunroof stuck on one side

Post by scrappy1382 »

you may find the tilt and slide mechanism has broken which is causing you the problems above. to check futher, simply put the sunroof in the tilt position and use a coat hanger to disconnect the spring holding the fabric cover thing in place ( spring would be in middle of system ) and push back, this should allow enough insight as to what is going on. from there you can decide what needs replacing. hope this helps.

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
DT1

Post by DT1 »

The front drain pipes exit behind the wheel liners. The ones at the rear are behind the rear wheels and they should poke out slightly.

duggers

Post by duggers »

If you haven't got a Haynes or Bentley to give a good idea on the sunroof mechanism PM me with an email address and I may have a PDF that helps show what is involved......

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
DT1

Post by DT1 »

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Ah thanks folks, that's great, especially the pdf link :

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... oledVW.pdf

Didn't know Borat's brother fitted sunroofs :-D Big success!

I grabbed the Haynes, stared at it and read it very carefully and actually took the roof off. Things don't seem in such bad condition but I noticed a few things, here are some pics. this is when it's wound fully :

Drivers side
WP_20160817_007.jpg
Passengers side
WP_20160817_008.jpg
And this is what I think the problem is - notice how the corrugated slider thing is flush on the passengers side but on the drivers side there's still a gap. That suggest to me that either one of the cables is kind of stretched, or, more hopefully, that the cables need re-calibrating with each other. So I reckon there was no obstruction, it's just that the stop thing reaches its limit and won't go any further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MK21800 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Also :

Drivers side
WP_20160817_005.jpg
Passengers side
WP_20160817_006.jpg
The little thing that sticks into the notch is kind of loose on the drivers side. Although the clip kind of seems intact. Perhaps it just needs bending a little bit.

So looks in general that it's the drivers side that's the problem.

I also tipped loads of water down the channels and it came out of all four corners of the bottom of the car perfectly, so I know the drain holes are good. That was the main issue.

However, after reassembling, I put a hose on it, and the drain holes were working fine, but look at the state of the damn headliner. This is what tends to happen in the rain. None comes in the car really although if it gets really soaked my head can get dripped on. Can't work out why the headliner gets soaked when the drains seem to be working fine. Need to look at this more closely, perhaps it's that water repeller bit at the front.

Grotty headliner.
WP_20160817_010.jpg
The actual rails and guides seemed in good nick, not broken or anything, which is good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MK21800 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

I also, erm... found this bit loose which I can't work out where it's from yet.... again, a bit bent on one side. Seemed to be living in the front of the passengers side rail :
WP_20160817_009.jpg
Sorry about the multiple posts, it doesn't want to let me attach more than three pics for each post.

DT1

Post by DT1 »

http://vagpart.com/vw/scirocco-sci-eu-1 ... iding-roof Looks like #14A.

It looks like you have it fitted on the drivers side.

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

that black bit fits on the the silver hinge. i can even see the other one fitted in one of your photos!

i reckon someone has removed the winder and messed about with the sliders so they are out of sync. from memory they are seperate worm drives which go either side of the winders cog do dah. they should at least be alligned. after 10 years i gave up on my sunroof and just use tilt...

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

DT1 - cheers for that! Useful little catalogue there, didn't know about that.

Steve - yeah I'd only had a quick look at it - couldn't see the woods for the trees obviously.

The main point of this exercise was actually to address water leaks and drain holes and so on, not so much to actually fix the sunroof, good idea about only using the tilt. I've put it back together again essentially as it is but I nudge a couple of bits slightly back in, and currently it's closed with one corner sticking slightly up slightly which I think is an adjustment issue or a result of the cable thing, or er... something :? . Haynes mentions height adjustment. I don't think I'd really know unless I stripped it down further, which would be an undertaking as I'm a bit of a novice. Might give it a go at some point.

It looks like it should leak because of the corner sticking up very slightly , but I blasted it around the seals with a hose and water came out the drain holes and the lining actually stayed dry now, which is a result, I think. I reckon I've at least nudged something back into alignment (probably that notch thing in the drivers side) even if the cables aren't. So at least it's winterised. Before, the lining would get wet if I washed the car, but now it seems to stay dry (so far so good anyway).

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

My input = Bliddy Rocco sun roofs :diablo:

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper
MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

ghost123uk wrote:My input = Bliddy Rocco sun roofs :diablo:

Right?

Seen the price of the effin' bits? Even on ebay. Ridiculous. That's another reason I had a look at mine, probably pays to investigate every now and then to check it's not turning into a seized rust-well. And then someone gets in the passenger seat, grabs the handle and starts furiously winding it wrong and there's a weird cracking sound...