mk2 dash removal

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

hows the easiest way to remove the dashboard?
i have taken one out before but i removed everything in the process because i was painting the car, but this time thats not necessary so what can be left in during the change?
i will need to remove the clocks and glove box thats a given but can the center console stay in position?
Last edited by james butler on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
duggers

Re: dash removal

Post by duggers »

Looking at he Bentley manual the lower console can stay after loosening a few screws but you pretty much have to undo or remove nearly everything else any way.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
james butler

Re: dash removal

Post by james butler »

cheers duggers, was really hoping there was a cheat way of getting it out but nothings ever that easy lol

james butler

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

right i thought i would do a "how to remove the mk2 dash" thread right here so here goes.
to be fair most of the centre console can stay and the under trays however my car is missing the panel that hides the pedal box workings so if i miss that step of removal its because i dont have one.

right then

theses are the tools i used to get all the screws and such to get the dash out

Last edited by james butler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james butler

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

note:- i have lots of aerosol caps labelled to use as screw storage so i know where every screw came from.
1st step i did was to remove 2 screws holding the surround in front of the clocks (its up to you if you want to remove the steering wheel first as i did this later on)
these are located in the top of the surround and once out you can lift the plastic out

next on the drivers side end of the dash i removed the 2 screws with the plastic and steel washer (dont loose them)

next i took the lid off the glove box which only has 4 screws in the hindge then the door can be taken off but dont forget to slide the support bar out sidewise out of the lid

this will allow you to get to all the screws holding the glovebox in place which all need to be removed including the lock clasp screws.
Last edited by james butler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james butler

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

next i removed the steering wheel to make getting the clocks out easier and has to come out anyway so you can remove the stalks.

back to the clocks, these are held in with one screw in the top of the clocks which needs to come out,

before the clocks can be removed the speedo cable need to be unplugged which is fairly simply squeeze and pull clip but the cable connections under the clocks are much more fiddly and i found the easiest way to unplug them is to use a flat headed screw driver to prise the plug apart slightly then gently tug the plug from behind the dash and the plug will come apart quite easily. there are 2 of these a black and white plug.

here is a close up

and the same for the other plug

once both plugs are unplugged and the speedo is removed you can GENTLY remove the clocks, be carefull of the blue plastic on the back of the clocks as these are easily damaged.
Last edited by james butler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james butler

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

next you can pop out and unplug all of the switches which is easiest if pushed from behind. (note disconnect your battery because if you use a screwdriver to prise apart the plug from the switch your likely to short something and 1) operate whatever its connected to or 2) blow a fuse

right once you have done that now would be a good time to remove the stalks which consist of three brass screws, its easy enough but then behind them you will need to unplug the cables which is easier if you remove the lower steering coloum cover first.

next pull out all of the heater control levers and the fan controller button as you will need to remove the face plate

there are 2 screws above that secure the heater contols to the dash and both of these will need to be removed.

Last edited by james butler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james butler

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

now remove the passenger side of the dash end screws again dont loose the plastic and metal washers.

now see this screw located just behind the fag lighter all you can see is the thread? you cant get to this because the heads on the other side and the middle air vent in the dash is in the way. (apologies the picture is sideways)

to remove the middle air vent you take out this screw

which is easily accessible if you remove the center bar in the middle air vent by bending it out.

now you can get to the hidden screw.

Last edited by james butler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james butler

mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

next remove these 2 screws in the hole left by the glove box

next i removed the plastic rivits that secure the panel to the dash that sits under the passenger side of the dash, (i didnt have one on the passenger side) this is held in with plastic rivits where to remove them all you do is push out the cetre pin and pull the rivit out, i think there was 4.

next undo the clip that holds the outer cable of the contol flap cable which controls the blower to the windscreen or centre vent.
this need unclipping so its no longer connected to the control arm and will still be attached to the dash.

once all this has been done push the entire dash up and towards you and the whole thing should come right out.

there may be a few cables cable tied to the dash so dont forget to cut these off and the air vents to the out vents should come off fairly easily.
to be honest its probably best to get 2 people to lift the dash out just so nothing gets damaged.

as in the good old haynes manual assembly is the reversal of removal.

plus im not responsible if you break anything or/amd loose all your fingers in the process!
Last edited by james butler on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james butler

Re: mk2 dash removal

Post by james butler »

new dash in and so nice to be crack free for the first time.

Last edited by james butler on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Great guide with clear pictures, just what we need. :good:

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Lightweight
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Lightweight »

Spot on James mate you made that a breeze compared to what it could have been! :ok:

james butler

Post by james butler »

Lightweight wrote:Spot on James mate you made that a breeze compared to what it could have been! :ok:
im glad it helped buddy :beers:

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

A job I would never want to do, but seems pretty straight forward. Great write up.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
james butler

Post by james butler »

right that was a nightmare of a job but ive re uploaded these pictures and hopefully you guys can see them.
could the MODS make this a sticky under mk1 dash removal just so it doesnt get lost cheers.