Wing mirror glass

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Wing mirror glass

Post by MK21800 »

Nate wrote:Yup, that's what I needed to see. I've never actually taken one if these mirrors apart.

They are the same type of fixing as other vw stuff though, so should be dead easy.

The yellow "sticky like old glue" on the back of the glass is a giant sticky pad that covers the whole of the mirror glass to stick it to the plastic.

You should be able to get what you need from your favourite local motor factors, or ask nicely in your local garage if they will order it in for you. You need to ask for a mirror glass c/w backing, and then it's just a press fit onto that circle bit. Job done
Nate wrote:Failing that, just get a plain mirror glass and stick it to the backing you've got, having first removed the old glass carefully, prising it off with a wide flat screwdriver. Bear in mind this will likely create glass splinters, so do it inside a bucket to catch them.
Thanks, man. I know exactly what you mean. It seems pretty difficult to locate the whole assembly (glass+plastic backing plate) anywhere online, I've tried ebay and I am currently corresponding with vwheritage but on the surface it seems that the only ones available are the replacement stick-on ones. However I do have a motor factors near me who are great lads so I'm gonna pop in there for a chat.

So basically, failing everything else, forcing the old glass from the backing plate, clean the backing plate up then stick on one of those cheap replacement ones directly on to the backing plate - yeah I'm with ya. It seems a bit more robust than sticking the replacement on to the existing broken glass.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Don't force the glass off, those backing plates are often brittle when they get old. Prise carefully;)

My local garage has ordered mirror glass with backing for me before. Can't remember the make, but they come in a red and black packet

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
RoccoJimbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by RoccoJimbo »

Hi.
Try checking your local motor factors for a replacement glass for either of the following....
VW Passat B2 or 32b version 83ish-88 or 89 or
VW Santana B2 version...
Same mirrors & passat/Santana were listed more often for pattern parts
Hope this helps

1990 Tornado Red Scala.
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Danny
RoccoJimbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by RoccoJimbo »

The mirror plates do come off by inserting a screwdriver on the underside of the mirror & gently rotate the large disc on the back until the locating lugs line up with the relief holes in the backing plate. The mirror glass can then be pulled out.

1990 Tornado Red Scala.