Wing mirror glass

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Wing mirror glass

Post by MK21800 »

My drivers side wing mirror glass has been shattered (although still intact if you see what I mean) probably by someone running too close to the car or something.

Anyway, it actually was hanging half out of the enclosure, and I've taken it fully out now.

What's the deal for getting an original one to put in there? Are they still obtainable?

Also, doe the original one require glueing as well as the lugs? My one appears to have a yellow cicle on the baack which is slightly sticky - indicating glue has been used at some point?

Or do they just clip in?

Blueshark

Re: Wing mirror glass

Post by Blueshark »

Electric or manual operated ?

Joost

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Manual. Just the basic stuff.

I want to replace the glass because the actual units are colour coded.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

For the manual mirrors there are no replacement glasses oficially.
You would have to get one cut your self.

It is also not able to come out and refitted again, so if yours was hanging out it is probably busted.
Try to take it out and see what is broken of and if you get it refitted again.

Joost

Nate

Post by Nate »

Ask in your local motor factors. They will probably be able to get you a self adhesive glass cut to fit. Obviously you would need enough left to stick it to. Can you post a pic of what you've got left?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Ah ok thanks lads.

There is actually most of the glass left, it's just shattered but still whole if that makes sense. Just is in about 20 pieces now but they're all stuck on the backing plate in the original position.

From your answers, it's apparently obvious that I'm going to have to get a stick-on glass and stick that on top then botch this one back onto the centre piece in the unit. There's definitely enough glass left on it to do this.

Just a shame I guess as having the original parts intact is preferable

Nate

Post by Nate »

No pic then?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Isn't there a way of removing the old mirror, screwdriver through the hole in the bottom to turn the plastic ring behind the mirror which holds it on around then remove?
I may of dreamt this information........
There should be some 2nd hand units around or have you tired VW for a new one?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
DT1

Post by DT1 »

mark1gls wrote:Isn't there a way of removing the old mirror, screwdriver through the hole in the bottom to turn the plastic ring behind the mirror which holds it on around then remove?
I believe that only works for electric wing mirrors.

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Nate wrote:No pic then?
I'll get one together.

Is the golf mk2 the same?

For example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk2-W ... 43dabe7796

15 quid, free postage. Got the original glass in it. Not sure about this one in particular, but golf results bring up a lot more than scirocco. Sometimes they're a tenner if the casing is really mullered.

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Pic attached.

Had MOT recently and you can see the remains of the glue from a stick-on one the garage put on and it promptly fell off and shattered. I'm suspecting they didn't bother cleaning the glass before they stuck it on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Umm, I mean a pic of the mirror housing. Can't remember what the insides look like. I know what a broken bit of glass looks like ;)

MK21800

Post by MK21800 »

Nate wrote:Umm, I mean a pic of the mirror housing. Can't remember what the insides look like. I know what a broken bit of glass looks like ;)
Lol sorry mate, I'm recovering from flu and I'm afraid my brain is affected.

Here's what you are after (apologies for cobweb). Also just for good measure I've included a pic of the back of the panel thing the glsass sits on. Yellow disc felt a bit tacky like old glue.
Wing-mirror.jpg
Mirror-back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Yup, that's what I needed to see. I've never actually taken one if these mirrors apart.

They are the same type of fixing as other vw stuff though, so should be dead easy.

The yellow "sticky like old glue" on the back of the glass is a giant sticky pad that covers the whole of the mirror glass to stick it to the plastic.

You should be able to get what you need from your favourite local motor factors, or ask nicely in your local garage if they will order it in for you. You need to ask for a mirror glass c/w backing, and then it's just a press fit onto that circle bit. Job done

Nate

Post by Nate »

Failing that, just get a plain mirror glass and stick it to the backing you've got, having first removed the old glass carefully, prising it off with a wide flat screwdriver. Bear in mind this will likely create glass splinters, so do it inside a bucket to catch them.