Leaking windscreen i think :/ help

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
johnboymk2

Leaking windscreen i think :/ help

Post by johnboymk2 »

as described when it rains the car decides to alow alot off water into the foot wells off the car now iv just had the windscreen sealed up so could any 1 else sujest anything or maybe buy a new windscreen rubber? just need part numbers and advice.
many thanks.

fonzooorooo
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Leaking windscreen i think :/ help

Post by fonzooorooo »

Endless list!
A few to check:
water through the heater due to blocked plenum chamber drain/damaged cover
water through cable gromet/hole in bulkhead
panel joints in plenum chamber/bulkhead area
windscreen
sunroof /associated drains etc
doors (membrane inside) door seals (damage)
rear windows (check behind rear door cards)
boot lock seal/badges/spoiler/tailgate glass/tailgate seal
holey floor etc

Use Tigerseal or similar - not silicone. (words of wisdom from experience!)
Good luck!

johnboymk2

Post by johnboymk2 »

its dripping from both corners of the dashboard. passengerside drips onto the fuse box witch isnt good at all and drivers side drips from above the accelerater if that helps narrow it down?

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

That sounds like it's sunroof drains...

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Open up sunroof and check for holes near where the drain points are.
This was where mine leaked.

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

and just be silly and check the plenum chamber drains are clear too. Unlikely to be properly blocked, (it's usually a build up of sediment in the bottoms of the wings, rather than the holes on top, unless they're full of leaves) as they're huge, but worth a quick check... anything that slows the progress of the water's a bad thing!

johnboymk2

Post by johnboymk2 »

it doesnt have the sunroof drain pipes on :/ its the pop off sunroof if that helps.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

In which case go to plan B :D

Check bottom corners of windscreen for rust / sealing.
And as said, the drain channels in the bulk head.

Nate

Post by Nate »

johnboymk2 wrote:it doesnt have the sunroof drain pipes on :/ its the pop off sunroof if that helps.
as in an aftermarket glass one? if it is that letting the water in, scrub some vaseline into the rubber with a toothbrush to stop the leak, unless the rubber is torn, then you'll need a new one

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
steve GT VW

Post by steve GT VW »

I had this a few years ago, there are two drain holes on the bottom of the windscreen, where the rubber surround is connected to the body, you will not be able to check this without taking the windscreen out, and you wont be able to seal it without making a complete mess, try all the others first as i did but its the leading edge of the body bottom of the windscreen it is about 6-8 inches in from the out side if you know of a car in a scrappy have a look at that first.

but the only way to fix it was remove the screen fix the rusty bottom edge, so the water can reach the drain away other wise it will short your electrics.

Good luck, sorry its not good news

Steve

johnboymk2

Post by johnboymk2 »

iv sortted it now pal :) i got a windscreen guy to come seal it and its done the job :) thanks anyway bud

chris29891
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by chris29891 »

I think I have this issue! I have water dripping in above the fuse box, it’s very difficult to trace as there is a metal bar/strut that runs the width of the car behind the dash which is obscuring the view but it appears to be coming from the bottom of the windscreen. I took the windscreen out and resealed etc, I checked those drains and they seemed to be ok, but I’m wondering if they’re blocked further down and fill up with water as seems only to leak when it really rains hard. I guess my question is where do those holes drain to, so I can check the other end?

Thanks
steve GT VW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 pm I had this a few years ago, there are two drain holes on the bottom of the windscreen, where the rubber surround is connected to the body, you will not be able to check this without taking the windscreen out, and you wont be able to seal it without making a complete mess, try all the others first as i did but its the leading edge of the body bottom of the windscreen it is about 6-8 inches in from the out side if you know of a car in a scrappy have a look at that first.

but the only way to fix it was remove the screen fix the rusty bottom edge, so the water can reach the drain away other wise it will short your electrics.

Good luck, sorry its not good news

Steve

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Have you checked the drainage in the scuttle area, by the heater fan?

If they get blocked with leaves etc water can build up and drain into the car, also check any cables going into the car like the aerial lead.

I believe the sunroof drain tubes go into the wing area, behind the plastic wheel arch liner.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
chris29891

Post by chris29891 »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of this for some time, the drains either side of the scuttle are fine, checked and cleared those out a while back.

I don’t have a sunroof. I’ve previously removed the windscreen and resealed it, when I test with a hose it doesn’t appear to be that but this only happens when it rains really hard for an extended period. I also noticed it leaks less if the car is facing down a hill. :? So I’m wondering if the small drain holes in the Windscreen seal seat are causing an issue.

Pictures below show where the leak is coming in from, but where the yellow circle is, there doesn’t seem to be an obvious location on the outside of the car that’s letting water in, and I don’t really want to remove the dash if I can help it.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Water will fall from the lowest point, as you know not always directly where the source of the leak is. If it is the windscreen, it could it be from any point. Does the sealant under the seal look suspect? I too had this problem years back after a new windscreen was fitted badly. I got them back to refit it again and it stopped leaking.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.