Factory rear inertia seatbelts - Mk2

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Factory rear inertia seatbelts - Mk2

Post by blakey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Does anyone have factory fitted inertia reel seatbelts fitted to their Mk2? I'm looking for photos of the installation to the rear shelves.

The belts are available new from VW Classic Parts and also secondhand.

My '89 has the slots in the shelves to accommodate them but doesn't have any threads to mount them, and the shelf doesn't really look strong enough to mount them on its own. The parts catalogue shows the belts and the trim pieces, but no mounting brackets etc. So I'd like to see how they were fitted from factory.

I currently have the Securon 254's fitted, but have an issue with one of them, so need to replace it - would like to go down the original type route if possible.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455

the edmundator

Re: Factory rear inertia seatbelts - Mk2

Post by the edmundator » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:28 pm

There are some threads on the C-pillars, which is where you attach the upper part of the 3-point belt. If you poke around with your finger, you should be able to feel them under the headlining.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX

blakey

Post by blakey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:26 am

It did have 3 point static belts originally, but I fitted the aftermarket Securon belts. As I have to replace one of them again, I'd like to go for the original type.
It may not be possible, if they're not fitted at build.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 pm

I don't think 3-point inertia reel belts were fitted to any UK cars from the factory. I've only ever seen lap belts or 3-point static belts (aside from Securon etc. aftermarket ones).

I don't see how the 3-points for securing the belts would be any different for factory inertia reel belts. One on the C-pillar, one on the inner sill/arch area, one at the buckle.

Like this:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX

blakey

Post by blakey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 am

Possibly never fitted to UK cars, but this is the picture which got me started on this, it's from the Scala page on Dr Dub's website info:

And then I looked in the parts catalogue:
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 57-169000/

Just keen to know how the reel is secured to the rear shelves.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:55 am

I puzzled over the parts diagrams a couple of years ago to see if it might be feasible to adapt the shelf support to mount inertia reels to my '92. I'm guessing if there is another Dutch contingent at this year's National Meet, there might be one or two fitted with original 3-point inertias to look at.

Rear seat belts didn't need to be fitted in the UK before 1987, and didn't need to be worn until 1991, and even then only 40% of people bothered to belt up in the back. No surprise then, that VW GB didn't see rear seat belts as a key selling point, and took the opportunity to economise by fitting cheap static belts in place of inertia reels.