Rear wheel arch repair sections.

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jdw66
fill in the right answer: 10

Rear wheel arch repair sections.

Post by jdw66 »

My mk 2 Scirocco has some rust in the drivers side rear wheel arch . Don't know how bad it is yet because i've been to scared to remove the body kit. Anyway i'm going to need repair sections to weld in where necessary . I know VW Heritage don't make or sell mk 2 repair sections so i was wondering what's the closest match to a mk 2 scirocco wheel arch IE: Mk 1 scirocco, golf mk1 or 2 etc. Thanks in advance, John.

Mark H
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Rear wheel arch repair sections.

Post by Mark H »

Joost or Chris Salaj

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296
jdw66

Post by jdw66 »

From what i've seen/felt so far, hopefuly i've only lost about 3 or 4 inches at the front of the arch where it meets the sill. I was hoping to just to let in metal where recquired hence i only need a repair section with the same curvature to chop up. If the entire arch has gone i'm probably not going to bother.

Eagle1
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Eagle1 »

Mine was made up from small sections taken from a Mk2 Golf. It doesn't completely match hence smaller pieces. I did all the panel making and it went to a friend for welding. At the same time all the seam sealer was taken off and replaced where needed. I also cleaned the whole inner arch. I also repainted the arch repairs, whilst the kit was off, and waxoyled over it. Good to go and I was chuffed there wasn't too much to repair.

jdw66

Post by jdw66 »

Got it done today. Nowhere near as bad as i thought, just a few inches missing from the wheel arch lip and small amount of rust in the end of the sill. Used the end off a mk1 scirocco inner arch. Worked a treat.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good the hear you sorted it, nice thing about the plastic it hides any repairs as well as hiding rust but at least you know the rest of it solid.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323