The intake manifold 'hedgehog'

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Akinesis

The intake manifold 'hedgehog'

Post by Akinesis »

When I changed the carbs over I saw what people were on about when they were referring to the 'hedgehog'. I heard people shave this down for better performance. Is this true? And if so how do you go about shaving the spikes down???

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009
The Autoad
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: The intake manifold 'hedgehog'

Post by The Autoad »

an old school mod -shave it down with a dremel, but the carb will take slightly longer to warm up (if 2E2) sans hedgehog.

The jury is out on any performance gain, but I am led to believe that there is some benefit. Fil will know...

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
Risocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: The intake manifold 'hedgehog'

Post by Risocco »

The Autoad wrote:an old school mod -shave it down with a dremel, but the carb will take slightly longer to warm up (if 2E2) sans hedgehog.

The jury is out on any performance gain, but I am led to believe that there is some benefit. Fil will know...
Sorry Ant, to clarify, trim it down or crew-cut approach?

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6