Hot handbrake melted gaitor hot exhaust and rich

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
EDDIE-F
fill in the right answer: 15

Hot handbrake melted gaitor hot exhaust and rich

Post by EDDIE-F »

HI
2e2 carb 1800 gt
For no apparent reason. My car has started to heat the front exhaust box so hot its making the bottom of the handbrake hot , not warm but hot. the car runs perfect. performance is good. fuel consumption has gone up though and the engine smells of petrol.

I keep checking things and replacing them but this issue persists.
So far:
new fuel pump. new diaphram and valve in the power valve. manifold gasket should be ok one year old. all vacuum pipes ok. new air filter. cleaned out rocker cover breather. autochoke fully open when hot . checked the feed and drain too and from the tank. new swirl pot vapour trap.

car was fine all last year just started doing this.
If you take the plugs out they look fine.
Idle mixture was set with a coloutune ok before and it was ok. Now if i colourtune it . it still says it fine.

Am i correct that screwing the idle CO2 needle in makes it leaner and out makes it richer ?

For such a simple car it seems to be a constant battle of whits to keep these cars on the road,

Ed

GT_II

Re: Hot handbrake melted gaitor hot exhaust and rich

Post by GT_II »

On the Pierburg 2E2, unlike any other carb on the planet it would seem, unscrewing the mixture screw weakens the idle mixture, screwing it in makes it richer. This is because the mixture screw controls the volume of air flowing into the emulsion tube, not the volume of fuel.

So for a rough idle mixture setting (assuming warm engine and everything else set up correctly), unscrew the mixture screw slowly until the revs start to fall. Then correct the idle speed if necessary using the screw at the back of the 3-point unit.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
EDDIE-F

Re: Hot handbrake melted gaitor hot exhaust and rich

Post by EDDIE-F »

Thanks GT_II

As you say every other carb I have seen is always in for leaner.
I have unscrewed the needle about four turns till revs dropped a bit then put it back in about half a turn. Car starts from cold and runs perfect with no stink of petrol. I will take it for a motorway run to check the exhaust but i think this has sorted it. This is my daily driver so good to sort this out.
Brilliant!