HELP rocco wont start and need it ASAP

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: HELP rocco wont start and need it ASAP

Post by mark1gls »

Fingers crossed it will as if it’s very wet in there it will take time for the petrol to evaporate...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by scirocco_ne »

Still knakard.... I am worried the bull merchant i got it from has done something really stupid now and its cost me it running.

Plugs leads all seemed fine bar one been a tad wobbly.

The rotor arm was cable tied together, hopefully it hasnt had it running off location before this.

No car for work tomorrow and another fiddly issue i cant fix :(

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Turned the dizzy 180 it its square locator there and no difference except a worse backfire so it probably was right all along.... Stumped

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

No1 at tdc whats the first plug the cap should be pointing at?

Let's hope its timing

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Its running... No idea why but new cap is the cause. After a ignition re time its a ok on the old stuff

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

The cap thats on looks like a cap set into a plastic housing, i am wondering the the new cap inside the casing would work hmmmm surely a silly cap won't make such a difference if its clamping

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear you got it running.

I've brought a new cheap dissy cap before and my car ran but when hot it kept cutting out, finally found a hair line crack in the new cap so in the bin that went... Just because something is new does not always mean it's good...

If you can try and find a good branded cap if you can.

Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

mark1gls wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:44 pm Good to hear you got it running.

I've brought a new cheap dissy cap before and my car ran but when hot it kept cutting out, finally found a hair line crack in the new cap so in the bin that went... Just because something is new does not always mean it's good...

If you can try and find a good branded cap if you can.

Still has problems though bud sadly.

Just tried to time it up there and i can't even keep it running and see the marks near each other :-(

Sick

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Tuned by ear it's running better than ever but why cant i see the timing marks?

Im really worried this is another issue covered up by the previous owner now

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

I have seen from some googling that the flywheel timing mark can be out if the flywheel dowels aren't used or whatever. Lets trying timing off the bottom pulley and see how it goes :)

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Whilst looking at the bottom pulley...

Whooo all aboard the good luck express :pilot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Oh greasy mess there, I hate it when a CV boot goes...

I don’t use a timing gun to set the timing, I time it by ear to start of then drive the car and advance the timing till I can hear “pinking” when the engine is under load the retard it a little till it stops. The main problem with this method is you need a quiet road as you need to keep stopping and twisting the dissy and adjusting the tick over, if you can find a road with a hill and drive up it that helps put the engine under load, get to 2nd gear and around 1500 rpm and slowly push the throttle down toward the floor with your head nearly out the window you should be able to hear any “pinking”

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Heres a little update,

After manually getting the ignition roughly right and getting her running i thought i would go further and finish the set up.

I followed Brunty's timing advice on using the bottom pulley after seeing nothing on the flywheel (Thanks Again Bud) and it worked a treat. There must be some truth in this flywheel mark been 120 out tale i read elsewhere.

After setting the timing to TDC 0 vac hose off, i then proceed to set the weber up.

After a full weber set up (vac back on) the timing showed a slight advance, to the left is advanced isnt it? I left it at that as it was certainly near 6deg

The car drove really well and ran much happier. Alot more low down pull and healthier engine tone

But its still on the old dizzy cap and hanging in there arm so i will see if the replacement new ones work and i was just unlucky.

After all this and a test run it was C0 reading time.

Sadly a rather rich 8.5% reading was the average so i leaned off the mixture screw to a still healthy engine tone but 2.5% reading.

Honestly it feels a tiny tiny bit flatter somehow for leaning off the idle mixture a bit and it didnt start as well cold this morning but its a world away from what it was.

It used to be a awful starter and at idle was poor. It was also gutless power delivery wise and horrendous on fuel

I am really pushing for that efficient and pokey sweet spot as it should be possible. My other webers ran great and i didn't do much to them as a youth.

It seems the general consensus among Vw enthusiasts is that webers are crap on fuel and will never be right but im sure its possible. Its just about finding the right settings.

The real tragedy in this is the engine is smoking alot more now and maybe the backfires etc have gave the rings or stems a good kicking.. All because of a dizzy cap ey.

Mick

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

What did you use to get the CO reading, a Gunson home kit or a proper CO machine like they use for an MOT?

Membership No. 323