Fuel Pump - Leak

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hanna.melbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Fuel Pump - Leak

Post by hanna.melbo »

So i have a 84 mk2 injection that has developed a very small intermittent leak from under the fuel pump on the underside of the car next to the rear wheel arch....
I want to take it apart to investigate but it looks as though its leaking from where the fuel pipes exit / enter the pump its difficult to tell if its the pump or the fuel pipe connections that are the problem
Has anyone taken out or replaced one of these pumps? is it an easy job?
Was just looking for a bit of advise as to whats involved as i'm not entirely sure how these fuel lines are fixed/ connected to the pump

mr.brown

Re: Fuel Pump - Leak

Post by mr.brown »

84 could be early or late injection system - do you have a full size spare or spacesaver?

hanna.melbo

Post by hanna.melbo »

its a space saver, looks as though 3 pipes go into the pump too...

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

There should only be 2 fuel pipes attached to the fuel pump, 1 going in and 1 coming out, there is 2 electrical connection.
Removing the fuel pump is a right pain as it sits underneath the car and the connection rust, I think you need to get a thin spanner to hold the pump and unscrew the fuel lines but not 100% sure as it was a few years ago I had to change my fuel pump as it stopped working.

Can you post up a picture so we can see what’s wrong?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323