Manifold removal MK2 EX

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
NebToast
fill in the right answer: 15

Manifold removal MK2 EX

Post by NebToast »

I'm trying to get a rusted on donut gasket off my manifold. I've decided the only way to get at it is to take the manifolds off. I've got all but one intake hex bolts off and all but one of the stud nuts off (I rounded the last one :x ). A couple of studs came out with the bolts and I should probably replace them along with the gaskets. It's an EX MK2 carb 1.8 engine. The studs on OEMEPC diagrams say they're m8x18 which is obviously wrong, the ones that came out are about 48mm long and about equally spaced thread wise. Does anyone know what size studs I need?
Cheers

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Manifold removal MK2 EX

Post by mark1gls »

For the exhaust manifold always use new nuts, the studs can usually be cleaned up and reused but if you want new ones as well.
Lock 2 nuts together to remove the studs from the head.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1- ... Sw2XFUZdO6

Sorry can help with inlet bolts size, I bought new bolts from VW but any good bolt store should be able to get something like them.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Eagle1
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Eagle1 »

I had the same problem on the wife's MK2 Golf with an inlet manifold bolt. As they're sandwiched in between the manifolds I couldn't get anything into the bolt head that was a suitable length or head size. A bit drastic but I eventually cut the manifold off with a recip saw in stages until I reached the bolt head. Leaves a mess but... I now have a combination of a long 3/8" hex key to reach it. I'm about to take the manifolds off the Scirocco again to replace the exhaust manifold.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

You can remove the exhaust manifold without touching the inlet manifold, the only problem being you need to work at it from below, there is a couple of nuts you can get to from the top, I’ve done it a couple of times just watch out for things falling on the head and rusty bits falling in your eyes....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323