Fuel gauge issues

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
ridethesplit
fill in the right answer: 15

Fuel gauge issues

Post by ridethesplit »

Ok, let's talk fuel gauges! Our gauge is like a deathly slow metranome. It goes from well under empty to just over a quarter and stops wherever it feels whenever it feels like it.

If I put more fuel in, and it gets over half full it goes up to where it should be (I think), but then every corner or hill it has a dramatic dip or raise, before settling again where it should be (I think).

If it drops below half it goes back to being a deathly metranome!

Anyone else had these symptoms. Apparently the previous owner replaced the whole tank and sender.

'84 scirocco
'91 golf
'87 westfalia
mr.brown

Re: Fuel gauge issues

Post by mr.brown »

Cornering and hill issues are "characteristics" of the system - it's just a plastic float bobbing in the fuel that moves an arm up down a resistor. There are no baffles in the tank to prevent the fuel sloshing this way and that - so that float is constantly moving and affecting the readings.

For the mk1 injection it's actually a clever design trick (or accident) - the fuel outlet is at the rear of the tank - so there's less chance of running out of fuel going uphill. More chance when going downhill but hey, who cares, you're going downhill! :-D

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

mr.brown wrote:Cornering and hill issues are "characteristics" of the system - it's just a plastic float bobbing in the fuel that moves an arm up down a resistor. There are no baffles in the tank to prevent the fuel sloshing this way and that - so that float is constantly moving and affecting the readings.
What Mr. Brown said!

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Mine experiences the same issues, definitely worse with lower fuel in the tank.

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296