Fuelling problem?.....

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Fuelling problem?.....

Post by Jerry Atric » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm

....or maybe electrical issue ?

Well, have worked through most of the threads on this section to do with fuelling problems , mis-fires, etc and can't find an exact match for the problems on my '86 GTX.

Car starts fine , hot or cold. All wires are connected including 5th injector. Emissions were spot on at recent MOT.

So the problem is after a cold start, the engine is working fine albeit with a minuscule hunt at idle. Drive off and change through the gears, but at the signs of a hill , where the throttle then needs to be applied, the engine will falter, splutter back fire ! and then die.
Hazard lights ON ! Sit for 30 seconds or so and the engine re-starts ok. Drive off and after maybe a mile or so of normal driving, the same symptom re-appears. Engine by now is fully up to temperature.
Hazards on again deep breath, crank the engine and it fires up ok. Drive off and the whole scenario is repeated down the road another mile or so or at the next hill.

Was thinking fuel starvation maybe ? Have replaced under bonnet fuel filter and checked the recently replaced lift pump and associated filter and they are all fine.

Another symptom is with engine idling , rapidly dabbing on the throttle causes the engine to hesitate and move towards stalling. Release the throttle and most times the engine re-covers.....the back fire is what is puzzling me as that surely indicates fuel getting into the exhaust?

So applying more power causes backfire and loss of engine revs....ignition timing maybe ?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Fuelling problem?.....

Post by Jerry Atric » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Ok at ease everyone as problem self sorted........

Whilst getting the pipes for the heater matrix through the bulkhead, I must have dislodged the high tension lead going to the coil. I remember pushing it back in , but obviously not properly. The contacts were just about touching, but the circular clip/contact was not pushed home. Having replaced that correctly, everything runs as it should. Phew, relief. :-)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fuelling problem?.....

Post by mark1gls » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Goto love an easy fix :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323