Mk1 Fuelling or Ignition problems?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Chubbraa
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk1 Fuelling or Ignition problems?

Post by Chubbraa »

I suspect this is going to be an electrical issue but the initial fault is that the Fuel pump no longer powers up when the Ignition is turned on.
Here’s a little background; the car is a 1980 Mk1 Storm.
At the beginning of May we took part in a Classic car run. The only real issue on this day was after an hour or so of slow moving traffic the engine was hot (but not over heating) and it threatened to cut out if the revs dropped. Anyway nursed it to the Promenade at Felixstowe where it was parked up for 4 hours before starting up with out a problem for an evenings drive home. The car stood for a week, but when I next switched the Ignition on there was no fuel pump, starter motor turns though, power to dash etc..
So……

1.Swapped out the relay for a spare & then another but neither fixed the prob.
2.Bridged the fuse board this powered up the pump instantly, so I turned the engine over but it did not start.

So I’m going along the line that the pump & relay are not at fault but that it may be a lack of switching signal to the relay causing it not to switch the pump on. I’ve now got as far as checking the continuity from the Coil to the relay socket (L12); it appears to be unbroken & good.
Given that the pump works but will not fire up via the relay(s) & when jumped there is no ignition when turned over; am I right to assume the coil is at fault? Any tips on testing the coil? Obviously I want to narrow down the options before I start buying spare parts to throw at the problem. If the problem is not with the ignition components then I fear it is the fuse box or/and its connectors which to be honest are a mess inherited from when I bought the car & something I plan to replace & upgrade if I can find suitable parts.
Any help and advice is gratefully appreciated.

MK1 VW Sciroco Storm
MK1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG
2004 Audi S4 Avant
Volvo 480ES
Chubbraa

Re: Mk1 Fuelling or Ignition problems?

Post by Chubbraa »

Ok, another day spent trying to trace the root of this problem, and this is what I’ve learnt…
Testing the Coil threw up a few areas to explore, measuring the voltage across the plug connector on the ignition switch (pins 2 & 4) should have given a reading of 12 volts but there was nothing. A continuity test showed no broken wires or connections.
The upshot of this is that there is no 12v power to the coil when the ignition is switched on. I have traced this back to the fuse box, measuring zero volts at pin C15.

So my question now is: where should this power come from? Where does it enter the fuse box?

(looking more & more like an electrical problem, don't know if this needs to be moved to that section?)

MK1 VW Sciroco Storm
MK1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG
2004 Audi S4 Avant
Volvo 480ES
MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MRMENDER »

Check the ignition switch. Common problem. can throw up all kinds of electrical faults

Chubbraa

Post by Chubbraa »

Hi Mrmender,
Thanks for getting back to me, I've ordered a replacment ignition control module, & new ignition switch for the steering column. I'm going to replace the steering column one first, I suspect this is the cause. I'll fit them this weekend fingers crossed, & report back.

MK1 VW Sciroco Storm
MK1 Audi TT 3.2 DSG
2004 Audi S4 Avant
Volvo 480ES
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Good luck, I wish I could be more help but to me electrics is a dark magic so not my strongest subject.
Let us know how you get on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323