Fueling and bike carbs

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
lee_erm
fill in the right answer: 15

Fueling and bike carbs

Post by lee_erm »

I have a 1984 1.8 8v MK2 with a carb, I'm in the process of converting the car to run on bike carbs. The bike carbs require a constant fuel pressure of 3 psi. My plan was to use a swirl pot fed by the current lifter pump, I was then going to fit a 3 psi bike pump from the swirl pot to feed the carbs. Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

The other approach is a proper fuel pressure regulator with an aftermarket (probably Facet) fuel pump, this is expensive though.

Cheers

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fueling and bike carbs

Post by james butler »

proper fuel pressure reg and aftermarket pump would be far better and more controllable for your needs and would look far cleaner in the engine bay without the swirl pot and pump.

post up some pics of your setup its allways good to see different set ups

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
lee_erm

Post by lee_erm »

james butler wrote:proper fuel pressure reg and aftermarket pump would be far better and more controllable for your needs and would look far cleaner in the engine bay without the swirl pot and pump.

post up some pics of your setup its allways good to see different set ups
Yeh you're probably right, must admit I'm not really a fan of swirl pots. None crossflow heads are a big enough fire hazard as it is :D

There's not much to see yet apart from a carb-less engine, I will do when it's all up and running though.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

might be worth doing some research into cylinder heads as the late new shape beetle had a crossflow head on it that "could" be fitted and another is the 2 litre 8 valve commonly found in the states that is also cross flow so it might be worth having a look whats available first before fitting the bike carbs and setting them up.
see my post about it viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19128&p=133020&hili ... re#p133020

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Mark H

Post by Mark H »

might be worth contacting Phil (isaidthephil), think he is running bike carbs and his set up is pretty much sorted

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296