Rough running when accelerating. (again)

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Rough running when accelerating. (again)

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

My 87 GTX had fuel starvation problems back in February which turned out to be the dreaded rotten filler neck. I replaced the neck and got all the rust out of the tank, cleaned the mesh filter on the lift pump, replaced the fuel filter in the engine bay and it has run perfectly for the last nine months. Now the symptoms (rough running when accelerating, and going up hills etc) have returned abruptly. I have checked the tank and there is some very minor specs of non rust dirt at the bottom but nowhere enough to block or partially block the mesh on the lift pump

Any ideas what the problem could be? Lift pump appears to be the original. Could it be dying?

Thanks

scrumpyone
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rough running when accelerating. (again)

Post by scrumpyone »

After changing my filler neck I still had problems. Ended up with a new tank, all fuel lines & swirl pot replaced.

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If the main pump gets noisier when you have the problem then the lift pump is dying.
For the cost of a replacement it may be worth to try a new one and keep the old one as a spare. You will properly need to replace the rubber fuel hose which connects the lift pump to the sender, just make sure the filter at the bottom of the lift pump is the same height as the original one or it will sit to high or to low in the fuel tank.
I also had to fit 2 new fuel hose clips as the old ones was the crush type of clamp.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks Mark
I have a new lift pump. I bought it last time I had problems but did not fit it as in the short term the new filler neck seemed to solve problem. I will fit it and see if it helps. You are right, I will need to shorten the fuel hose to ensure the pump sits at the same level as the old one.
Cheers for the advice.

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

This is driving me mad. The new lift pump did not help unfortunately. . Maybe its not a fuel issue.
Everything is perfect until I accelerate, at more or less exactly 3000 revs the engine starts to run rough and lacks power. its fine at lower revs. I had a similar problem last year. I changed the filler neck last year and all was ok for a few months, tank is clean, fuel filter changed twice, new lift pump.
Maybe its ignition, HT leads less than a year old, plugs new, cap and rotor arm approx. 2000 miles.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

bensspares

Post by bensspares »

Distributor vacuum advance diaphragm ?

If it is not broken, Do not fix it !!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

bensspares wrote:Distributor vacuum advance diaphragm ?
good call, or the vacuum pipe may have come off/split.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
big_wig_074

Post by big_wig_074 »

check the timing on the engine (not the distributor, the cam timing) I had a similar issue, I had paid a garage to do a cambelt change for me and they had used the wrong marks on the cam wheel. it was about 30 degrees out! ran fine (ish) at lower end but hit a brick wall later on up the revs. I will be doing my own from now on. you need to take the cam cover off to do this to see where the cam lobes are, and a screw driver in no1 spark plug hole to check tdc. there is a guide somewhere, probably one of rubjohnnys finest.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Are you running on super unleaded petrol or normal unleaded?

You need to set up the timing for the right type of petrol, I find super unleaded gives my car smoother power delivery and tick over.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check these out.