Vacuum Tube Length

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow

Vacuum Tube Length

Post by hiltow »

Had cause to remove the air filter box on my carb mk2 at the weekend.

Unfortunately, when I refitted it I forgot to reconnect the vacuum line connected to the lefthand side if the filter housing - this is the line that is made up of translucent plastic vacuum tubing that has 4cm of black over braided rubber hose pushed onto either end. This connects to the back of the carb at the other end. The result was that the tubing slumped down the back of the engine and melted the end off when it was being driven.

I have some new tubing, but need to know the exact length to cut it to (excluding the braided fuel get vac hoses on either end).

ETKA says 24cm for an EW 1.6 engine like mine. This is rubbish, as 24cm is too short - what's left of the original tube is longer than that.

Likewise, it's 32 cm for an EX engine that had the same carb and filter housing.

Question is how long the tubing taking should be? I've cut it to 32 cm and fits, but still seems a few cm too short.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Vacuum Tube Length

Post by mark1gls »

Why not increase the length of the rubber hose at the end a little to make it fit, I can't image making it a little longer will have any difference performance of the vacuum.
I change my braided hoses every few years as I found they go brittle and perish at the ends so mine are the original lengths as I cut the hose and push it on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

Cheers - I'm wanting to stick to the original specs, which means the braided sections stuck on at either end are 4cm long (I've measured the originals and these tally with what ETKA says).

I've cut a new strip of plastic vacuum tube to the 32cm showing for the 1.8 engine and it seems okay, though possibly a fraction short. 24 cm is too short to fit end to end properly, but as you say the extra length won't make a difference to the vacuum.

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

Now know the answer- it's actually 33cm, so ETKA is wrong on both counts.

Luckily, I found the severed piece on the garage floor under the car with the braided bit still stuck on the end, so I measured the two pieces.

I thought that this end would have fallen onto the road and been long gone after being caught on the exhaust manifold melted through the plastic tubing.