Silencer replacement

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
BrianJT
fill in the right answer: 15

Silencer replacement

Post by BrianJT »

Hi to all members, I have registered with this forum, even though my car is a 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor, as I came across a reference to the forum when searching for a replacement silencer for my classic.
When I started rebuilding the car after a long period of abandonment in the garden, I had a copy made, in SS, of the silencer that had been fitted in the 70s. This is, however very noisy and affects the power so I am searching for something like the pre-abandonment silencer.
This is a Quinton Hazell S2934 - a 20 inch long x 5 inch diameter straight through with 1.75 inch diameter entrance pipe, centrally placed, and an 8 inch pipe for side exit.
It is not possible to go into a Quinton Hazell outlet and browse around the shelves any more so If there is a member with a similar sized silencer or knowledge of an equivalent item, I would be grateful for a reply. Thank you.
Brian

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Silencer replacement

Post by Nate »

Seeing as QH are still going, have you tried contacting them direct? You've got a part humber you can give them, it's possible they've got one hanging about at the back of a warehouse somewhere...

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
BrianJT
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by BrianJT »

Hi Nate, My Internet search indicates that QH is now owned by a Danish firm with, apparently, no UK warehouses.
However, I will follow up your suggestion. Thank you.
Brian

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

Thought they had a place just off the m40 at banbury? Could be wrong

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3