starting proceedure peirburg

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
chrisdevon
fill in the right answer: 15

starting proceedure peirburg

Post by chrisdevon »

Hi
I have a manual choke peirburg carb 1.8
from cold sometimes it fires lovely sometimes not, ( no hand book with the car)
just wanted to know what is the correct procedure for stating from cold. obviously choke out, but do I pump the accelerator, or leave it alone till it fires?
many thanks
Chris.

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: starting proceedure peirburg

Post by the edmundator »

If you have a manual choke, you don't have a Pierburg. Manual chokes are always (on UK cars, at least) an after-market conversion to a Weber 32/34 DMTL - which is always done because the Pierburg was playing up and was difficult to fix.

Instructions from the owner's handbook are, therefore, irrelevant to you anyway.

With a simple carb like a Weber, I would give a couple of pumps on the accelerator before starting, to prime the carb. Someone else might disagree with this.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
chrisdevon

Post by chrisdevon »

thanks, however it doesn't look like any webber ive seen before, ive had lots of capri/cortinas with two pot 32/34? webbers, this is one big round flange with a squarish pot within.
Also it got VW stamped on one side which made me think it wasn't webber.
Anyway I will have a good look and determine what it is this weekend.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Well, that would make it very unusual. Either way, a manual choke isn't standard VW issue on a UK Scirocco.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Pop up a picture of the carb if possible, I've seen some Pierburg carbs converted to a manual choke.
I guess trial and error is the way to go with starting the car and see what works best but usually they recommend a pump of the accelerator pedal then start the car with you have a carb and don't touch any thing if fuel injection.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

the edmundator wrote:Well, that would make it very unusual. Either way, a manual choke isn't standard VW issue on a UK Scirocco.
theres a kit you could buy to convert the pierburg to manual choke and was used on quite a few other makes and models ford being one of them.
it was deisigned to do away with the water controlled circuit as well as some other parts.
no idea who was the maunfacturer was but i do remember it.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

not the 2e2 but was for the 2e3 so they are out there.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391134019366

i was after a kit for ages so i could try and put the pierberg back on my car but have never found one.

chrisdevon

Post by chrisdevon »

thanks for the help guys, sounds like the pierburgs where auto choke mine is now manual so not sure my question is valid now.
but it doesn't like the peddle being pumped, and its not brilliant without, somewhere In between. with the wind blowing the right way.
Car does run brilliant though, once its started.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Post up a picture of the carb and we may be able to tell what it is?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nate

Post by Nate »

the edmundator wrote:If you have a manual choke, you don't have a Pierburg. Manual chokes are always (on UK cars, at least) an after-market conversion to a Weber 32/34 DMTL
Erm, no. Auto choke delete kits were common place once upon a time, and were available for just about all cars, to fit in place of the manual choke. It is entirely possible to convert a pierburg carb to manual choke with a model specific off the shelf kit. I did it on my 1st rocco. It was the simplest and cheapest way to get yourself out of a knackered auto choke hole. The kits cost around 30 quid new last time I bought one.

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
james butler

Post by james butler »

Nate wrote:
the edmundator wrote:If you have a manual choke, you don't have a Pierburg. Manual chokes are always (on UK cars, at least) an after-market conversion to a Weber 32/34 DMTL
Erm, no. Auto choke delete kits were common place once upon a time, and were available for just about all cars, to fit in place of the manual choke. It is entirely possible to convert a pierburg carb to manual choke with a model specific off the shelf kit. I did it on my 1st rocco. It was the simplest and cheapest way to get yourself out of a knackered auto choke hole. The kits cost around 30 quid new last time I bought one.
i thought so, any ideas where i could get one? ive looked on ebay and the likes and there doesnt seem much about other than the 2e3 kit which might fit maybe with some modding?

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Well, nonetheless the vast majority of manual choke cars will be using a Weber, and it remains true that manual chokes were not standard on UK spec Sciroccos.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

james butler wrote:
Nate wrote:
i thought so, any ideas where i could get one? ive looked on ebay and the likes and there doesnt seem much about other than the 2e3 kit which might fit maybe with some modding?
If that's the kit to fit a vauxhall, that's what I fitted to my scala. Can't remember how much bodgery was involved, it was a long time ago

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
james butler

Post by james butler »

Nate wrote:
james butler wrote:
Nate wrote:
If that's the kit to fit a vauxhall, that's what I fitted to my scala. Can't remember how much bodgery was involved, it was a long time ago
i will have to try it
if the pierburg is as good as everyone makes out then converting my old one to manual choke will essential fix it and i can put it back on the car.
bloomin auto choke was a nightmare on it.

chrisdevon

Post by chrisdevon »

Ive got pics on my phone of the carb if anyone is happy to try and id it and let me have their mobile number.
Will post on here when I work it out, but sounds longwinded.
many thanks