Pierburg strip down, probs found

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
panzer
fill in the right answer: 15

Pierburg strip down, probs found

Post by panzer »

To try and sort the rough idle and over fueling I have started to strip out the 2E carb. Inside the autochoke there is a spring type affair which is possibly a heating elemen,t what the hell does it do and would it effect running? as this is broken up.There are perished also vaccum pipes under the carb so I need to try and source some of these, is there a particular size?

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Pierburg strip down, probs found

Post by james butler »

i believe the spring is connected to the coolant and adjusts size accordingly to the temp of the coolant which brings the choke on and off.
because yours is broken you will need a new one or convert it to manual choke, there used to be kits out there to do this to pierburgs.

the vac pipe just needs to be genuine vac pipe as you dont want it collapsing in on itself under vacuum, ive no idea what size it is so take the old stuff off and measure the internal diameter off the pipe and order some new stuff.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
marcus

Post by marcus »

<duplicate deleted>
Last edited by marcus on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)
marcus

Post by marcus »

Inside the autochoke is a bi-metal coil of flat section which operates the choke lever.

This coil is heated not only by the coolant (which flows around the housing but doesn't enter the part where the coil is) but also by a small spring-like electric element on the inside (dry side) of the housing, which looks much like a biro spring turned into a near circle.

The bi-metal coil is made of two different metals sandwiched together, which expand at different rates when heated. As the coil is heated it expands and unwinds, opening the choke flap.

Is it the larger coil of flat material which is broken or the smaller 'biro' heater spring?

The vacuum tubing you need is available from VW Heritage:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/N020291 ... -3mm-wall/

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)
panzer
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by panzer »

Thanks, It's the "biro spring element" part that is broken , the bimetal spring is intact. I'll order some vac pipe but am on the lookout for a spare pierburg with this part intact