Poor ruining cutting out only when cold

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MattRocco
fill in the right answer: 15

Poor ruining cutting out only when cold

Post by MattRocco »

Hey guys I have a strange issue that I need to sort as I want to sell the scirocco but this isn't a good selling point!

So basically I have a mk2 1.8 8v gtx k-jet injection.

In the mornings I go out and start it, it fired to life instantly, but it doesn't run very well at all, it chugs and splutters and a lot of the time will cut out and each start repeats the cycle (sometimes makes the cranking longer to start after its cut out)

The only way I can get it going is to rev it up but in saying that I give it a bit of revs but it doesn't actually rev up just goes at around 1000rpm and chugs but this stops it cutting out. Once I've done this for about a minute (when it's got a little warmth in it) it will then rev up fine.

However I can't it yet as if I try to pull away I'll put my foot down and I get absolutely nothing so I have to Rev it up for about 2 mins at 1k and then I'm fine to drive it.

After its got some warmth in it runs perfectly.

I need to sell it asap and this is just not going to get it sold!
All help appreciated
Matt

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Poor ruining cutting out only when cold

Post by mark1gls »

Might be your fuel injectors are leaking over night and when you start the car there is lots of petrol sitting in the engine so it's running really rich till the petrol burns off, try unplugging the 5th injector (remove the blue electrical connector) and see if that helps the following day as you won't be spraying in extra fuel when starting the car.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Sorry forgot to say I've tried unplugging 5th injector and still no difference. I just don't get why it's only when it's cold?! Also tried unplugging the thermo switch and no difference. Checked all vac pipes with mitivac and there all good, no signs of fuel around injectors or anywhere. Can hear both the fuel pump and primer running so don't think there at fault

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Have you looked at the AAV?
It's at the back of the inlet manifold and it can get blocked up with gunky oil, remove it and blast through it some carb cleaner.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Without trying to sound stupid what is a aav?

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

It's an auxiliary air valve and should look something like this one on the right.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
MattRocco

Post by MattRocco »

Ok will try to look on my break at work tomorrow if I get a chance, thanks for the help

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Did it solve the problem ? As we have the same problem Sally is at our mechanics as type this.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.