Mk 1 injection issues

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Hilltop

Mk 1 injection issues

Post by Hilltop »

Hello, I've been working on my Mk1 injection which has been idle for about 16 years. The fuel filler had rusted badly and the tank was full of curd/ rust. I have renewed the filler pipe, tank, fuel lines, accumulator and filter. It does start but is very rough and cuts out. I hate to think that rust has got into the k-jet system but it's a possibility. Would appreciate any help/ guidance on this issue.

MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk 1 injection issues

Post by MRMENDER »

First of all go back to basics!
Make sure you have a good spark. check all components like plugs, rotor arm leads etc are good, Check timing.
Then we can get down to the Injection system.
I see you have not changed the fuel pump? Remove it from the car. In a bowl of petrol connect it to a 12V supply watch it pump. Then reverse the polarity to clear any crud out. In my opinion after standing for 16 Years I would replace it.
Personally I would not replace ANY other components on the injection system until you can get a KJet pressure test system connected up to look for faults. Changing components willy nilly is an expensive pastime, you just end up chasing your tail !

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

There is a pin inside the metering head which is operated by the metal disc, it can get stuck if not moved for some time have a look and check its moving.
More info and pictures.
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php ... &kfs180=30

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Hi thanks for suggestions. I had renewed the pump - just forgot to mention this. Cleaned intake and fitted new air filter and car has now started - but runs very rough. A friend thinks the head gasket is probably gone since the engine has not being running for so long - (and the water had been drained) !

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Have you looked at the pin in the meter head?
As MrMender said replace the ignition side of things, HT leads are often forgotten about.

Membership No. 323
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks mark1gls. I have renewed plugs, leads and dizzy cap. Symptoms have now changed - car now starts and dies, starts and dies, applying throttle does nothing. After reading some posts here I disconnected the 5th injector and it would not start at all - seeming to suggest fuelling problem. I'll check the pin in the metering head again but any other ideas ?

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Sounds like the engine is just running on the 5th injector thus engine dies
You have to make sure that the air flow plate is lifting. It should be free, it lifts up, use a small magnet. If its free.
Go on to do the next step.
1/Learn how to bridge out the fuel pump relay, so as the pump is running continuously. NOW! For safety disconnect the battery.
2/Remove the injectors. keep the inlet pipes connected.
3/Put the injectors in a bowl/receptacle.
4/Loosely connect the battery.
5/Lift the air flow plate, the injectors should squirt lots of fuel. If so disconnect the battery again.
If they do, the more than likely you have a vacuum leak, causing the air flow plate not to lift, Check for perished rubber pipes on the inlet side also loose clips.
If no fuel comes out of the injectors after No 5 the problem lies elsewhere, this is when you need a Kjet test kit. Dont let anyone tell you its this or that you will go back to what I originally posted chasing your tail.

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks MrMender, will do these checks when I get the time. By the way I'm not far off - near Nefyn.

GT Matt
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT Matt »

Poss blocked warm up regulator, had exactly the same issue with mine that had stood for 22 years!

Once the fuel has passed through the filter, it ALL then passes through to the warm up reg before returning to the metering head to be distributed.

On the inlet port on the warm up reg, there is a small gauze filter that blocks up and restricts the fuel flow.

See if it will clean out or remove and discard the gauze.

Transformed mine once I had sussed it out!

Matt

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, thanks for all the help so far. Been looking at the metering head today. As some of you have suggested the plunger was stuck fast. I've doused it with carb cleaner and tapped and pulled with absolutely no result. Has anyone any suggestions ?

I have another metering head from a DX 1.8 and the plunger is free on this one but it has been standing around for quite a bit and the part number is different - don't know if it's worth trying this ?

Hilltop

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The plunger should move/fall down on it's own. I did read in the thread I posted a link to that you can remove the plunger so may be give it a big pull and see if you can get it out to clean/de rust.
Some penetrating fluid may help eg. Plusgas

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... 49774741&0&

Membership No. 323
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Yes, I did read the thread - it can sometimes be freed and pulled out but one bloke tried everything and failed so had to have a new metering head.

I'll take the mh off, it might be easier to pull it out on a workbench (a dentist would come in handy !). If it won't budge will try the DX one.

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, brief update. I tried the 1.8 DX metering head but it isn't any better and the injection pipe unions now leak ! Should I use new copper washers ? So, back to the original metering head - after a lot of carb cleaner, WD 40 and pulling I managed to get the plunger moving. Have cleaned it out so it now moves freely - so going to put that back on and hope for the best.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Sorry to hear it's no better and yes new copper washers are always a good idea on the fuel system as it runs at a very high pressure.
let us know how you get on with the original meter head.

Membership No. 323
GT Matt
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT Matt »

Have you checked the filter in the warm up regulator? If that's blocked, it doesn't even allow fuel to get to the metering head!

After the fuel leaves the main fuel filter, it enters the metering head but only to connect to the pipe down to the warm up regulator. This adjusts fuel pressure according to engine temp then returns the fuel back to the metering head for distribution.

It really needs checking as, with your other metering head still leaving you with same symptoms, the fault is obviously elsewhere.

Matt

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX