fuel metering valve mk1 scirocco gti - HELP?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: fuel metering valve mk1 scirocco gti - HELP?

Post by the edmundator »

Ant at Rust Republic can recommend someone he uses to refurbish metering heads - would be worth contacting him. I think it's a postal service.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
accyimp
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by accyimp »

the edmundator wrote:Ant at Rust Republic can recommend someone he uses to refurbish metering heads - would be worth contacting him. I think it's a postal service.

Thanks, I'll ring him tomorrow
KMI are quoting 300 plus vat and recommending doing the cold start device at 135 plus vat
Not cheap this injection stuff!
Cheers
Andrew

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the cold start device until the metering head was done, if everything works it would just be a waste of money.

You can get them from scrapyards for a fiver a pop, just look for a low mileage car.

This gives you an idea of how common they are http://infopart.org/bosch-0280170402-part

accyimp

Post by accyimp »

DT1 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't worry about the cold start device until the metering head was done, if everything works it would just be a waste of money.

You can get them from scrapyards for a fiver a pop, just look for a low mileage car.

This gives you an idea of how common they are http://infopart.org/bosch-0280170402-part
Thanks very much for that - I am trying to do the bare minimum to get it up and running, so good advice!
Going to get the head parcelled up and sent to KMI who seem to be the preferred (only?) option.
Could potentially be running by the end of the month.
Cheers
Andrew

accyimp

Post by accyimp »

So much for my last post!
Metering head done by KMI
Timing belt/pulleys/tensioner changed
Engine tuner ready - fuel system pressurised, then, you guessed it - leaks everywhere!!!!!!!!!!
Basically now needs fuel lines front to rear and all couplings/fittings.
Fed up doesn't come close
Pushed it into a corner, covered it with blankets where it will sit untouched until at least the new year - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dingorocco

Post by dingorocco »

these guys have some hose kits.

https://www.werk34.de/product_info.php/ ... abrio.html

Bought a complete set from Mk1 Autohaus in the US, cost me about $500 US + shipping ( not cheap by any means ) so the werke 34 stuff at 149 Euro looks ok...

good luck bud.

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor

Brownrocc resto thread... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3070996
accyimp

Post by accyimp »

Cheers Dingo - just about managed to have another look at the car the other day! It will have to be an engine out job to get some new copper pipe correctly routed and then sort out the rigid to flexible couplings - nothing is ever simple is it!
Thanks for your time
Andy

accyimp

Post by accyimp »

Well it's been a while, but - IT RUNS!
Thanks Mark for the copper fuel lines and the hoses - not easy to route them but did the job in the end.
Thanks Brian for your help - appreciated.
I'll spend a bit more time on it now and this time an MOT might not be too far away - It'll never win any concourse events though.
Andy

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear it’s now running, the nice thing about not having a concourse condition car is that you can enjoy using and driving the car instead of polishing it and hiding it away in a garage for no one to see unless it’s going to a show. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323