Tank draining

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
T33stat
fill in the right answer: 15

Tank draining

Post by T33stat »

Any handy hints on how to drain the tank?

My project has been sat pretty much idle for the last 3 years before I bought her and it's a little stuttery at times, has half a tank of fuel that I can only assume is 3+ years old!

Unless I can find some other way I will just put a piece of hose down the filler neck and do it the old fashioned way!

Mk2 1.8 GT2 Project - Aubrey

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19331

duggers
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Tank draining

Post by duggers »

Only way to really clean it out fully is remove it. Siphoning will get the fuel out but not all the crud.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
craigwalton

Post by craigwalton »

I think the lowest entry point is the filler neck entry point. There is a flexi piece which connects the filler neck to the tank which should have 2 jubilee clips on it, you could tip the car back and remove the flexi piece and let it drain but there will still be some residue left.

There is a hole on the top of the tank which can be accessed by removing the rear seats (only the bottom half, which are held by just 2 screws), an inspection hatch (3 screws) and finally the lift pump assembly, but it's fidley and delicate plus you risk damaging the o-ring if it's old. Once removed, you've got about 2-3 inches in diameter so you'll be able to get a hose in there and look around for any rust or gunk.

But as duggers says, removing the tank is the only way to properly clean it out.

Some photos at the end of this thread may or may not be useful - that tank was from 1992 but had sat for around 10 years before I owned the car. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19011

T33stat

Post by T33stat »

I don't think the tank is going to be full of gunk,m, the filler neck looks solid and the tank looks fairly new, just old fuel I think!

I will try the inspection hatch!

Mk2 1.8 GT2 Project - Aubrey

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19331

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

You can't get the rubber hose off between the filler neck and tank with out removing the filler neck, I would look in the top of the tank from the fuel sender hole and suck it out from there.
You can have problems sticking a pipe down the fuel filler neck to drain the tank as there is a flap on the inside of the tank which the pipe may get stuck on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323