american spec 1.6 Scirocco engine

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
steve GT VW
fill in the right answer: 10

american spec 1.6 Scirocco engine

Post by steve GT VW »

Hi
are the cars in America the same spec engines as the UK with the same layout?

this is due to me wanting a SS Manifold, there is one on ebay in the states now obviously they will be left hand drive, the master cylinder will be in the same place I am led to believe so is there any reason why it may not fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-SS-E ... 1107277919

do we have anyone in the UK or cousins in the US that can advise please?
my car is off the road for a month whilst I get this sorted.

Steve

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: american spec 1.6 Scirocco engine

Post by GTXTRA »

Usa cars had en code 1700cc or jh code 1800 8v engines.
All were fuel injected.
Not sure if that helps Steve but if you cross reference vagcat you should be able to confirm.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: american spec 1.6 Scirocco engine

Post by ThomasD »

USA cars had 1.6L engines as well - in both the Rabbit and the Mk1 Scirocco, and while some US cars were carb'd, most models were fuel injected. The engines are very similar to European/UK engines - just different internals - different camshafts, different compression ratios, etc. You are also correct that at least on Mk1 and Mk2 Sciroccos, the master cylinder is in the same place - on the left side of the firewall. Engine and gearbox mount in the same way in both cars. In fact most parts are common between RHD and LHD - just the dashboard and some interior trim, some wiper parts, various cables, the brake linkage from the pedal to the master cylinder and of course the steering rack are different.

Looking at my 1984 Scirocco (RHD), the exhaust down pipe passes right in front of the steering column. As Sean suggested, checking vagcat doesn't show different down pipes for RHD or LHD cars. The main differences in exhaust parts are more due to emissions equipment on the cars - catalytic converters and O2 sensors, not RHD vs. LHD.

However, you're not ordering a stock VW part - so it's hard to say. It seems to me there is a slight possibility if this header curves slightly differently than stock, it might not be an issue on a LHD drive car, but could possibly interfere with the steering column on a RHD car - I'm not sure. I suspect the header will probably fit fine, but there is a risk. Even if the seller accept returns, shipping will not be cheap. You might be better off finding a header that someone with a RHD car has actually installed and confirmed it fits.

Sorry as I know this doesn't help much.
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6