PIERBURG.. the thread to end all threads

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mikeyboy
fill in the right answer: 15

PIERBURG.. the thread to end all threads

Post by mikeyboy »

Ok the time has come.
This article is for ALL vw mk2 engines with Pierburg carburettors.
I want to change the way you view this setup once and for all and for the better.
There are still some questions that I need to clarify. and with your help we will create a bible for the Pierburg carb users and at the same time re-master the layout of the ancillaries that surround the carb……why….listen up…

Ok out in Germany in the 80s somewhere the chief engineer at VW was enjoying another cup of coffee when the boss calls him to the office…..he knew the time was coming…I want the mark 2 says boss…ok says the chief…I want people of ALL ages to be able to drive it…yes boss says the chief….all over Europe and Scandinavia….everywhere….ok ok groans the chief
Is that all ??.
No… one more thing….i want my grandmother who lives just outside the arctic circle to be able to start the car without touching anything apart from the key and then drive off.
You mean an automatic choke said the chief……..but but but….
NO buts…set to it…say the man….
Now let that story sink in
I assure you that there is nothing really wrong with the German engineering of the mark 2 ..the engine is good and the basic carb is matched well to give the required 14:1 mixture of fuel and air….but the boss’s final request was in many ways a death wish……

Starting a car requires two SEPARATE things…..increasing the fuel to air ratio…and increasing the revs in order to compensate for the resistance of cold oil etc
Now to create a system that does that automatically… in the mid 80’s… not easy.
One more VERY important thing….when you were young along the way whether it be with a mower or motorbike you learnt that leaving the choke on was not good…if left on the engine would conk out….furthermore any mechanic will tell you that one should use a choke for a minimal amount of time.
Ok to the Pierburg
With 99% of engines the system of enrichment is something that’s used and initiated by the driver or ECU on starting….ie you pull out the choke or the ecu knows the engine is cold and pisses in more fuel….
What I mean to say is that when you get into a car it is YOU via the ignition switch or via a choke lever who initiates the start sequence…the DEFAULT mode of these vehicle is with the choke OFF.
This is not so with the Pierburg attached to the 1.6 and 1.8….(Yes you prime the old 1.3 Golfs but the problem remains).
The DEFAULT MODE of these vehicles is with the choke ON….you see that death is not far away…
HOW FAR AWAY….only a 12v supply and a good flow of hot coolant will save you.
As for the idle speed…
WE DRIVERS OF OLD GOLFS AND SCIROCCO’S ARE NO LONGER THE MASSES….UNLIKE GRANDMA NEAR THE ARCTIC CIRCLE WE ARE CABABLE OF TICKLING THE THROTTLE UNTIL OUR ENGINE IS WARM ENOUGH….YES FOLKS WE CAN MODERNISE THE CARB FOR A NEW BREED OF USER…..DONT ALL GO WEBBER MAD. BARE WITH ME.
OK enough for now I don’t want you to zone out on me…more to follow….

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: PIERBURG.. the thread to end all threads

Post by the edmundator »

I think the design is actually 1970s rather than mid-'80s... but I'm definitely a fan of keeping the Pierburg going.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
james butler

Post by james butler »

the edmundator wrote:I think the design is actually 1970s rather than mid-'80s... but I'm definitely a fan of keeping the Pierburg going.
this is one of the reasons why i kept my peirburg in the loft. one day i will understand how they work and how to fix the damn thing and put it back on my car.
untill then the weber will have to do.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mikeyboy

Post by mikeyboy »

ok just a quick one
I have not linked my other posts with this yet as intend to cover everything sooner or later anywaz
but on nathanjay's post in the fuelling section I have been going on about the mafco manual choke unit
well while searching on ebay for a 2E2 to use for an example project and photos I came across this
eBay item number: 171848472819
I am not going to purchase it as I want the auto choke (ill explain later)
BUT there for sale is a PIERBURG 2E2 with a mafco manual choke fitted
the seller knoweth not
needs a good clean
laterz

mikeyboy

Post by mikeyboy »

I recommend someone gets it...I paid 50 quid for the kit alone
this is all fitted ready
how I learnt about them will all become clear
snap it up...I will guarantee it...I will help you fit it
I run one of my rocco's with one already
ciao4now

mikeyboy

Post by mikeyboy »

ok too late I have bought it for US
we will use it as an example to clean up and photograph so the register can see that the Pierburg has a future....
maybe also I have an idea....an exchange scheme....I do it up ready just to bolt on and you send me your problem carb ???
either way.... WE will benefit from this purchase
see you soon

mikeyboy

Post by mikeyboy »

had failed to notice it is for a 1.6 but will be fine for our example carb
BUT it leads me to question that I have pondered often
ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHY THE MAIN JETS ARE BIGGER IN THE 1.6 THAN IN THE 1.8 ????
I will certainly be giving it a blast to try it out
soon Pierburgers soon

e732lkv

Post by e732lkv »

Hi all
please go on youtube and type in the search box
"Ifitsgotwheels' this guy has about 4 videos relating to the repair of the 2e2 carb, he really gives a good explanation in all vids, a lot of you will find very beneficial to watch.

vpreynolds

Post by vpreynolds »

this is mental. the pierburg is a super simple carb and i figured out its entirety in about two days of tinkering. if anyone has questions about it then ask away. There is no reason whatsoever to remove any part of the carburettor from stock except the TTL unit which is the small electronic fast idle valve. no engine should ever start on 2000 revs ever even if a restart is needed after a failure. I can put my hand on heart that through all seasons in scotland living 50 miles from john o groats a cold start is about half a second of the key turn in the morning without such a device. i cold idle at 1200rpm and warm up to an idle of 950rpm. My scirocco gt2 1.8 has done 146k and beats the exact same car (even in colour) to 60 by about 2 seconds that has the weber fitted tuned and that has only done 98k miles. the pierburg is just better!

type53b

Post by type53b »

That's all good , but I think you are in the minority there brother. Let's face cold hard facts . when it runs OK its OK, but when like mine it went batshit . I finally admitted defeat and coughed up and bought a Weber. That day will dawn on you, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon..! Here endeth the lesson. Lots of luck.

remember, if it's got tit's or tyre's, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble.