1984 Storm cutting out. PLEASE HELP

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
eddymcbram
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1984 Storm cutting out. PLEASE HELP

Post by eddymcbram »

Yeah its definitely the thinner type filter, think I have that sorted for tomorrow.
Taken a few pics. Will try to upload somewhere and link

eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Fuel filter look like this.
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/scirocco_filters.php
Pictures work and yes it's the same electrical connection as the other lift pump, do you have a haynes manual? If so it tells the hight from the top of the sender to the fuel pick up mine is in the garage down the road so I don't have it to hand at the moment.

Looks like the original pump as its still got those clips on so it has done very well!

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

Yeah that's the filter! Should be getting that tomorrow.
We will see what pump they get in and if it's the wrong one I'll grab the one from the link, and a Haynes as no I don't have one yet. Several for golf's but not a 'rocco one.
And yeah it's the original. When trying to source one earlier, VW told me that part was made obselete 15 years ago. Haha.
Thanks for your help guys, hopefully it solves it and can get it all sorted soon.

eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

So got a pump, looks different to the one I pulled out but similar to the one linked previously, it's a cambiare part, they any good? Part number is VE523105. connection on top looks the same, the pump itself is thinner and possibly longer, don't have the other one to hand. It has the same filter as the link. Ie. Blue disk thing. Reckon it will work? Also with regards to installing the new one. I will be replacing connecting pipe, what height do I need to keep the same? Not exactly sure what you mean by height from top of sender to fuel pickup?

eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

Connection is reversed

Different length

eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

Ok. So all done, pretty sure I worked out the height thing. New pump in. Haven't actually changed fuel filter yet, spanners are at the farm, will do tomorrow.
So far so good, left idling for 20 mins, no problem.
Took it for a drive and left to idle after again. All seems alright.
The original issue of having to catch the revs seems to be solved too. However that was only on the first start of the day sort of thing so we will see in time. Main pump now seems more of a hum but shane I may give you a ring sometime for a bit of advice about checking the voltage.
All in all, including leads and plugs that were unrelated, and some injector cleaner cost me less than £70 so I'm pretty pleased as long as the problem doesn't return.
Thanks again for your help guys
Last edited by eddymcbram on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Looking in my haynes there seems to be 2 types of lift pump but both need to be 175mm from top to bottom.
Are the electrical the other way round? there is just an earth and power.
Both versions seem to have the same length so you can adjust the height by trimming or replacing the rubber hose connecting the pump to the sender.
Pictures for you.
I guess older version?

Later version as fitted to my 1988 mk1 golf cabriolet

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

When replacing the fuel filter it's worth fitting new copper washers, you need 4, 2 on each side. On my fatter filter one side is the same size as the sump plug washer and the other side is slightly smaller.
Last time I took mine to an old fashioned motor factors and they searched through a box of odd washers and just gave me some for free!

I see you have posted at the same time as me writing the other post, the thing with the height is so the pick up is not low lowing the tank so it can suck up the fuel very well or to high and you run out of petrol before the fuel runs out but it's best not to get to that point in the tank or you will suck up all the rubbish, I try not to go below 1/4 before refuelling and I don't go into the red.
Last edited by mark1gls on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Membership No. 323
eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

Yeah, the one I pulled out looked like the older version,
replacemental looks like second photo.
The length of replacement was longer. I think I ended up with the total being slightly longer, replaced the bit of hose so when fitting it I tried to make it as short as possible to 'lift up' thr new one due to new pump being longer if that makes sense. To keep overall length the same.
However I was a bit limited to how much I could 'lift it' is inside the hose I'm pretty sure the end of the metal pipe on the sender part was up flush against the hose connection on the pump. Hopefully that's clear. Hard to explain. Haha.

And my new filter came with copper washers!

eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

Measuring from the top here, quite hard to measure as the pipe isn't exactly 90° to the top plate.

This was as 'high' as I could get the pump to sit.
Slightly over 175mm but seems ok so far. Most of the extra length is the cone shaped filter on the end of the pump

eddymcbram

Post by eddymcbram »

Just noticed you added to your post, haha. Yeah I assumed that's what the height was for. I try to keep it above quarter most of the time. Sometimes I go below but rarely ever into the red so I'll keep that in mind anyway. I did my best to get it the same height but it just wouldn't go any higher

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I'm sure it will be fine, fit it and see what happens while enjoying driving the car as that's what it's all about!

Membership No. 323
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

lift pump from euro car parts is a siemans vdo 441440210

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)