Fuel tank

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
steve bain

Fuel tank

Post by steve bain »

So I removed my tank today and inside it looks good. Would you just leave it and paint the outside or treat the inside anyway, just to be sure?

Also, on my fuel pick up the rubber hoses inside the tank have gone gooey, like Marie! Can I just replace them? And do I have to use a special pipe inside the tank?

Cheers

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fuel tank

Post by mark1gls »

The rubber hoses on the lift pump do seem to be affected by sitting in petrol all the time, there was a thread on here somewhere about using a different different type of hose with is designed to live in petrol?
I would just replace it with some more rubber hose and maybe change it again in a few years time.

Not sure what to paint the inside with? I just painted the outside with 121 epoxy mastic when I took my tank off then sprayed waxoil all over the top of the tank and underneath the car when putting it back on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
bengould

Post by bengould »

I'm pretty sure Frost's do a tank lining paint that is fuel safe when cured.
They aren't the cheapest though so might be worth shopping around.

Ben

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I wouldn't paint the inside. If any paint comes off (which is likely to happen if even the smallest part isn't fully clean/prepped etc.) you'll have the same problems you get with rust in the tank. The only reason it'll rust inside is if you leave it partially empty for a long time. I know people worry about fuel "going off" but I've never had a problem with fuel after leaving my car for 5-6 months over winter. I leave it with a full tank to keep the amount of air (and therefore potential for condensation) to a minimum.

If you're using the car regularly, rust inside the tank basically won't happen.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Well it s not good news. After a bit more poking the metal held fluid but was very thin and holed easily, so new tank. Great!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Hmm. It seems the 55l tanks for £110 are all out of stock, just the £385 ones left. Damn. May look into getting it returned or maybe use chemical metal? Dunno. No way am I spending near 400 though!

My build thread:
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

saw that one. collection only. I ended up getting a new one from classic-vw.co.uk for £103.50 delivered which i thought was a bargain for a new one! whoop!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

apparently the chap said he gets them from the same place as vwheritage but his mark up is smaller....

My build thread:
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Glad you're sorted. I got one from them a couple of years ago.

Did you use your members discount?

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

nope. didn't realise there was one. oops! oh well, too late now. i'm not a paid member either so probably not entitled to it.

My build thread: