Age old mk2 filler neck question

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jim91
fill in the right answer: 10

Age old mk2 filler neck question

Post by jim91 »

New ones available anywhere, or what's best option?

Heritage have a Mk1 Golf one, is there much modding involved?

Cheers 8-)

Nate

Re: Age old mk2 filler neck question

Post by Nate »

have you search the forum? several of us have posted up how we fitted a golf one, including which golf one, and some of us even put part numbers and prices

basically the one everyone says won't fit, will fit. you need a saw and a big hammer

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Cheers dude, yeah had a nosey but remembered someone talking about possibly getting them made. I got one of a mate in the end, but as used will need replaced again at some point, and would prefer one that fits without any fettling lol

Nate

Post by Nate »

if you've got a rust free used one, clean it up, paint it and waxoyl/dinitrol it, and it should last for a long time

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Try a local powder coating place they'll clean it and coat it. shouldn't be too dear.

Danny
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I replaced my filler neck in my daily drive Mk1 Golf cabriolet 15 years ago, (150,000 miles) and painted it with epoxy mastic and waxoyled it and it's still not rusting away!
The filler necks are different from the tin top Mk1's so for some reason are alot more money, I paid about £60 so that's why I painted it as I did not want to buy another one.
The car is driven though out the winter in snow, ice with salt on the roads, mud, rain etc... I need the car to get me to work.
I just wash under the arches with hose before and after the winter and put a coat/spray some waxoyl under there before the winter.
I can recommend the product but it does need a clean surface with a good key to stick well or it will peal off.

http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic-rust ... nt/c28117/

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ThomasD »

If you want a new Mk2 one, they are still available from VW. I bought one through my local dealer here in the States last year. At the time, there were still a handful left in inventory in the States, but the dealer checked and said there were still a large number (>100) left in inventory in Germany.

Best,
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

ThomasD wrote:If you want a new Mk2 one, they are still available from VW. I bought one through my local dealer here in the States last year. At the time, there were still a handful left in inventory in the States, but the dealer checked and said there were still a large number (>100) left in inventory in Germany.

Best,
Tom
Yup thats true. I was however quoted £220 about 5 years ago. I got a local welder fabricator to knock one out for £80 in stainless steel. He had to use the original steel cap latch from the top, though

ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ThomasD »

MRMENDER wrote:
ThomasD wrote:If you want a new Mk2 one, they are still available from VW. I bought one through my local dealer here in the States last year. At the time, there were still a handful left in inventory in the States, but the dealer checked and said there were still a large number (>100) left in inventory in Germany.

Best,
Tom
Yup thats true. I was however quoted £220 about 5 years ago. I got a local welder fabricator to knock one out for £80 in stainless steel. He had to use the original steel cap latch from the top, though

Good point - I should have mentioned they are not cheap. Even here, they are about 175GBP and we don't have the VAT you do. A stainless steel one will last the life of the car - that would really be the ideal solution!

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Wonder would Tps be any cheaper? Mate trying clean up either of two i have, if not may just have to bite the bullet! There a market here for good quality repros!

jim91

Post by jim91 »

On the off chance anyone have part number for filler neck?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Excellent dude cheers :beers:

Assume 533201129C do for kjet :-D

jim91

Post by jim91 »

Seems heritage can still order..................Uh oh :shock:
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/5332011 ... 2-83-7-92/

jim91

Post by jim91 »

Mate managed to get me a new genuine filler neck through TPS for around £250. Steep I know but alot better than £377 from Heritage!!!
It's away now being fitted so hopefully all ok. VW obviously have some stock of them left, took about 4/5days to order in, but that's it done now.