Exhaust/ARB rubbing

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
walkinginperu
fill in the right answer: 10

Exhaust/ARB rubbing

Post by walkinginperu »

Don't know quite where to post this, but I suppose this is as good a place as any! I've just managed to fit some anti roll bars to my GT, which didn't have any as standard. They went on fine (after some swearing) but now the exhaust rubs on the front anti roll bar on hard acceleration - i think it's engine vibration causing the exhaust to vibrate against the bar. It's not constant rubbing, and when idling the exhaust is about 10mm clear of the ARB. I replaced the exhaust rubber but it hasn't really made any difference. Anyone else had this, or have any suggestions what to try next? :beg:

filmidget

Re: Exhaust/ARB rubbing

Post by filmidget »

Assume it's rubbing at the downpipe?

I found the 1600GT system is quite different and doesn't have the kick upwards to get over the A/R bar. I guess to cure it properly you will need a different downpipe ie sort fitted to a car that comes with A/R bars... but them it might not connect to the remainder of the system properly...

Could you perhaps CAREFULLY put a few bends in to current system?

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

Thanks Phil. Yes. it's rubbing on the downpipe. I've tried looking on VAGCAT for different downpipes, but I can't see any that kick up like you were describing? VAGCAT seems to list the same downpipe for all cars with the exception of the 16V ones.

filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Exhaust in my old GT was definitely different to on the Scalas I have owned - not only the downpipe (shorter, without kick), but also the mid section too. Maybe the rear section as well. See if you can download the Bosal catalogue from anywhere, that shows the differences I think.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)