Running rough and rich on Pierburg 2E2

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Chazwozza
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Running rough and rich on Pierburg 2E2

Post by Chazwozza »

Good point re. running the fuel low, I had an identical problem with an old MGB, so I know exactly what you mean. I hadn't thought to be careful about it with the Scirocco being a newer car, but you're probably right.

In contrary to that, I did run down my last tank and only got 300 miles. That's an improvement on what I was getting before, but I used 52 liters of the cars 55 capacity, which is about 26mpg. It's running perfectly in all other respects now, so its a bit confusing. I haven't been driving it hard, I've done nothing but my commute on that tank, which is a 20 mile stretch of motorway so would expect more like 36 tbh.

I'll do what you said and mark the dissy position with tipex and try putting it forward a bit, though I'm not sure that'll give me quite mpg boost I'm looking for.

This cam belt change has caused such a huge ball-ache, my car was fine before all of this! haha

Chazwozza

Post by Chazwozza »

Pretty certain I have the timing perfect now, thanks for the help mark1gls. It idles correctly and pulls well throughout the rev range.

Fuel economy is still very poor however. Slightly improved perhaps, but still only 25mpg and I've been driving quite carefully. (I've been trying not to run it dry when I can help it, I know very much what you mean mark1gls - I had an MGB that had exactly that problem). But yes, its the 55 litre tank. The only other symptom I've noticed is that there is often quite a bit of smoke from the tailpipe when accelerating very hard - particularly if the car has been low-speed cruising for a long time beforehand.

I'm a bit out of ideas as to why, the carb is rebuilt and I checked the wax stat and auto choke were working, they seem to be. The timing now seems to be correct. I've replaced the entire ignition system and the oil and coolant has also been changed recently too. Is there anything else that could dramatically increase fuel consumption...I've not been able to see a leak either, though if there is a well known 'hidden' place for them to form, let me know!

DT1
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by DT1 »

Blue, white or black smoke?

Chazwozza

Post by Chazwozza »

White as far as I can tell, it is hard to see as I can only see it out the rear mirror as it is only when under load. Pretty sure not blue though and it isn't just water in the exhaust as it'll do it long after the car is up to temp