advice on extending/shortening wires

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
RoccoGuy
fill in the right answer: 10

advice on extending/shortening wires

Post by RoccoGuy »

i'm fitting a mk2 golf wiring loom for my 16v conversion, but due to the loom entering the engine bay from opposite sides on the two cars part of my loom needs shortening and the other part need to be made longer. the problem is my wiring expertise ends at twisting wires together and wrapping it in electrical tape, and i'm hoping for some thing a little less pikey than this. can any one suggest the best way around this? i wanna try and make it as original looking as i can.

Slugga

Re: advice on extending/shortening wires

Post by Slugga »

Get yourself a cheap soldering iron and some heatshrink and practise on some odd bits of wire until you get a pro looking join. Its easier than you think :)

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Definately solder, anything else is not good enough.

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

solder and wrap with electrical tape. Or if you really want to look the biz, solder your wires and wrap with heat shrink for that factory freshness.

Whats the base Rocco? Injection or carb? If the former, you don't need the Golf wiring loom, just the 16v timing box and ignition loom. If the latter, then ignore me!

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire