Timing/distributor

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Timing/distributor

Post by the edmundator »

Well, seeing as my Haynes is AWOL I set about fitting the new distributor without it. Not having done it before I thought it might be a straight swap job. This is what I've done, but having since read about changing a distributor from a non-Scirocco Haynes, I think I've missed some vital steps. Or at the very least I've definitely cocked-up the timing now.

Since fitting the new distributor, the car sort of starts, but in a very flatulent puff-puff sort of way. I presume that this is because the timing is way out. If someone can confirm that this is likely to be the problem, that would be very helpful.

I'd also like to know if it will be fairly straightforward to sort out the timing...Haynes talks about a light-bulb method, which sounds fairly simple except for the absence of suitable lightbulb in my toolkit.

If anyone desperately wants to come to Birmingham and give me a hand, you'd be more than welcome ;)

(It's my 1.8 mk.2 GT I'm talking about, by the way)

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
the edmundator

Re: Timing/distributor

Post by the edmundator »

No one able to offer any advice on this?

Can someone tell me if those circuit testing screwdrivers, with the crocodile clip on the end of a wire and a light in, will do the job as the test lamp requested in Haynes?

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Will if it is 12V mate

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Good, I have a couple of those things lying around.

Will having simply removed and replaced the distributor without setting up the timing first have made a huge difference? Or is it just a matter of setting it up now as per the instructions?

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

If all you did was take out the old distributor and fit the replacement, it just sounds as though you have got it back in slightly the wrong place. If the car starts, then just slacken off the retaining bolt slightly so that you can twist the distributor and with the engine running, twist the whole body of the distributor one way or the other. You will soon discover which is the right way as the engine will start to run properly. You will be able to set the timing roughly by ear, until you can get it checked properly with a timing gun.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

It almost starts, but not quite, just runs for a few seconds in a fut-fut sort of way then dies (doesn't sound like proper running and wouldn't drive anywhere).

I'm hoping it's just that the timing's out as otherwise I haven't a clue why it won't run.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Have you got the ignition leads in the distributor cap in the correct order - 1 - 3 - 4 - 2 - with the lead for number 1 cylinder facing towards the block between number 4 cylinder and the end of the block. I think that is the approximate usual position for it. If so, just move the distributor a fraction and try starting the car again, or get a friend to operate the starter whilst you turn the distributor.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Thanks for your help, I'll give that a try. I was quite careful to transfer the HT leads across in the right order so I think they're ok, but I'll take a look to be certain.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
james butler

Post by james butler »

if u need a timming light i got one, im in kings heath, if u wanna pop down one night n c if we cn time it up fridays best. ive got a manual to hand aswell

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Thanks for the offer. It does still need timing properly but is running now the ignition amplifier has been replaced. I'll be in touch if I have some free time.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX