Main beams turns the low coolant light on!

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
frlrubett
fill in the right answer: 15

Main beams turns the low coolant light on!

Post by frlrubett »

Had issue with oil pressure sensors which I recently solved (spoken about in engine part of forum). This has brought to light another problem, which I do not think existed before this one.

When I start the car the battery light now comes on and stays on for about 5 seconds - which it did not before. Car seems fine after this but then when you put the main beams on the low coolant light flashes for about 5 seconds. Quite bizarre.

Battery seems fine and is only four months old, volts are reading good. Car starts from cold after not being started for two weeks with ease.

unknownmale

Re: Main beams turns the low coolant light on!

Post by unknownmale »

Check the earth points for good contact (Rocker gover to bulkhead, battery to chassis)

- David
frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

Will Check..

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

When my thin earth cable going to the rocker cover broke I had some strange things happen to my instruments like when I put my headlights on the rev counter would drop by about 1000 rpm and the LED lights on my dash would glow So worth checking the earth leads.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

Cheers mark... yes my lights were causing dips in the rev counter also. Seems that I solve one thing and another thing jumps up, the wiring is shoddy all over so it would not surprise me if this solved it.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

mark1gls wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 pm When my thin earth cable going to the rocker cover broke I had some strange things happen to my instruments like when I put my headlights on the rev counter would drop by about 1000 rpm and the LED lights on my dash would glow So worth checking the earth leads.
I broke this cable once when I lowered the engine to do a clutch. My coolant gauge was pegged hot and drove home with the heater on full in the middle of summer, only to find the car wasn't over heating at all, just that earth had snapped!

- David
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I ran a new earth wire from the rocker cover, straight to a spare earth connector next to the fuse box. All good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.