FIXED Spark issues and non running on daily use MK2

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

FIXED Spark issues and non running on daily use MK2

Post by scirocco_ne »

On the way to taking my partner to work this morning the rocco decided to cut out.

After recovery It has not started since and after a day of testing i have decided its definitely ignition related.

Ive had the tank cap off,fuel lines blown through etc and the fuel is there and flowing well from the pump. The tank was actually very clean also inside.

Anyway as it stands there is no spark to the dizzy on the cars 12v feed, i at first thought it was terminal corrosion and striped the coil down cleaned the posts etc etc and even added new terminals to the loom wiring. Still no spark

However when i create my own 12v feed to the coil i get sparking most of the time. Sometimes its solid pulse and sometimes it was just on the first and last stroke it sparked. The car will not run on this spark though at all :?

Does this sound like a faulty coil or ignition amp? Is there any tests to diagnose?

I have both landing tomorrow at the local parts place to be safe but need the car fixed asap. Until the jeeps done its our only daily

Thanks in advance
Mick
Last edited by scirocco_ne on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unknownmale

Re: HELP Spark issues and non running on daily use MK2

Post by unknownmale »

First I would check you have good solid grounds from the body to the engine and negative terminal. The run some checks on the ignition module (under the rain tray)

I'll try and find a guide for you . on how to check this. but you can do it just with the key on, turning the engine over by hand to check for continuity with a multimeter.

- David
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Thanks for the reply bud sadly testing has only thickened the plot.

I found a video guide and have tested...

https://youtu.be/mWhw_xzSe54

-the 12v feed to the amp and its ok
-disconnected the hall sender and tested the 6v ish spike at ignition coil and its fine (apparently meaning the amp is ok)
- i have also tested the power feed to the hall sender and its A ok

If the ign amp was faulty apparently i would of had no voltage from some of these tests but it passed them all fine?

And it still delivers spark when manually given feed and does not when running of its own power supply. I was really hoping this was a issue i would diagnose with these tests but alas it is not.

Any help would be really appreciated as i am stumped now and we are carless :( Things always happen at the worst times as we need this like a hole in the head

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Simple fix Thankfully.

Worn out rotor arm. The system must be linked as the spark was not even making it to the dizzy in the first place thus why i never looked

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: FIXED Spark issues and non running on daily use MK2

Post by mark1gls »

Glad you found the fault and a simple fix once you found it....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: FIXED Spark issues and non running on daily use MK2

Post by james butler »

glad you got it fixed
something I've found with these cars is the solution to most problems are staring you right in the face its too obvious
I've done the same and found a burnt out rotor was my problem after buying a new dizzy!

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!