One for the more experienced!

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Luke_Scala2
fill in the right answer: 15

One for the more experienced!

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Okay so, I'm having VERY odd electrical issue.

When the headlight switch is turned on (dipped beam/second click) only the side lights come on. full beam won't come on and stay on like it should by pulling the stalk, but full beams will flash.

The heater fan and Window wiper stalk won't work (although the computer button will operate the Mpg/trip computer)

BUT when you have the headlight switch all the way on, and then pull for flash/fullbeam the fans and wipers will then work as normal, only with the flash held.

Every fuse and relay have been checked and are working correctly, the ground on the steering column has been checked and its getting current.
Please help, 3 brains have been racked and no answer has come up aha!

Cheers in advance

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: One for the more experienced!

Post by the edmundator »

Have you checked the earth to the rocker cover? I think I had a similar problem which turned out to be this. It sounds like an earthing problem somewhere, to me.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Im gonna go through them today ill be sure to double check that one! only odd thing is that it isn't intermittent, and wasn't before it went wrong...

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

You need a Haynes manual and the wiring diagrams to hand - this will tell you where any of the wiring common to your problems intersects.

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

It's almost certainly your ignition switch as all the mentioned functions are dependent on the ignition being switched on

Danny
Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Update, not the rocker cover Earth nor the one near the steering column. I think go through all the wiring by the ignition coil and new stalks are next test

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

I've had this happen to me twice and both times it was the ignition switch.

Danny
Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Hi danny, is there anyway I can check this without just buying a new one? would I need to replace the entire unit (barrel etc) or just a part of it?

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-Sta ... SwplBdIPgE

been a while since i did it but i think you disconnect the battery - remove the steering cowlings and disconnect the black block with all the wires coming out.

then fit your new switch into the black block you can turn the switch with a screwdriver.

this will let you know if it is the switch. remember to reconnect the battery.

Danny
Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Okay so! it was the ignition switch that had gone. complete pain in backside to change since the steering column adapter had siezed on, so I had to cut that off before putting the new one on. but that has been fixed now!