Instrument cluster question.

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
DougWomble
fill in the right answer: 10

Instrument cluster question.

Post by DougWomble »

Hi,

I haven't posted on here in a LONG time.

Long story short I'm looking to replace my (non-functioning) instrument cluster (Speedo works most of the time, odometer etc no longer works)

My question is, as a 1989 petrol 1.8 Auto GT, if it looks like this https://i.imgur.com/JWlhSA6.jpg , can I do a straight swap with an identical unit?

I am conscious there are variants out there with trip switch, MFA functions etc., but just how wrong can I go?

And also, can a Golf / Jetta cluster be used as an alternative?

*Any* advice much appreciated, thank you.

1989 Bog standard MkII GT - and it makes me very happy!
essextom

Re: Instrument cluster question.

Post by essextom »

i dont think the golf/jetta ones are interchangeable. replace it like for like, or just replace the speedo, the units break down into individual parts.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Repair to odometer as common problem, usually a small blob of super glue fixes it as the plastic cogs slip on the metal bar which stops the miles working...

http://www.4130-products.com/step/odometer/index.htm

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
DougWomble

Post by DougWomble »

mark1gls wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:01 pm Repair to odometer as common problem, usually a small blob of super glue fixes it as the plastic cogs slip on the metal bar which stops the miles working...

http://www.4130-products.com/step/odometer/index.htm
Fantastic! Thank you.

Now...... does anyone know how to disconnect wiring harnesses?? I've got it all out bar the two harness connections, and I know (knowing me) that if I give it too much welly I'll knacker them :-/

Bloody hate the things.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Make sure you pull on the plastic connection when disconnecting and don’t pull the wires, there is a little bit of slack in the wires so you should be able to pull the cluster out a little to get your hand in. You could also remove the cover above the pedals and then you can see and get your hands in from underneath, you will need to push your drivers seat all the way back as it’s not easy getting yourself down there....

Membership No. 323
DougWomble

Post by DougWomble »

mark1gls wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm You could also remove the cover above the pedals and then you can see and get your hands in from underneath, you will need to push your drivers seat all the way back as it’s not easy getting yourself down there....
You sir are a diamond! Head on brake pedal, arse on seat, feet in the air - got there in the end 👍🏻

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Glad to managed it... I did say it’s not easy getting in to that position. :-D

Membership No. 323